How do you know when to call it a day?

sachilles

How do you know when to call it a day?

Post by sachilles »

Normally, I'm of the thought, that you can never get enough runs. If control says we can go, I go.

However, twice this season, I've called it quits early, when the car was perfectly fine.

For me, by the end of a weekend, I'm pretty well spent. If I find my times are slipping, combined with heat and being tired I'm more likely to call it a day.
Not sure whether I'm getting smarter/wiser or whether I'm just turning into a weenie.

Usually if I still have the energy, but my times aren't improving, I'll usually concentrate on improving in certain parts of the course I have problems with hoping it will pay dividends on the next visit.

What makes that voice in your head tell you to take the rest of the day off, and under what circumstances do you listen?
Last edited by sachilles on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: How do you know when to call it a day?

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I had my late braking issue at CP4.... I had my fastest run after than run. (because I told myself to be smoother!)

I normally keep going regardless unless I am worn out... that is rare. I have parked it at events because I thought I heard something or something didn't feel right back when I was having engine issues.

Think you're going to push it too hard if you keep going? Try just a spirited and fun run up the hill.... don't think about times.

S
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I often call it a day after my third run if I'm not improving and I don't have anyone pushing me in class or overall.

It's simply a risk calculation for me. I've crashed more than a few times in the past and while I've been good for a few years I know it will happen again, it's just a matter of time. If someone else would pay for and fix the car when I crashed it I would certainly take more runs. Somehow the fun factor also plays into it. For example when I last went to a go cart track I ran until they shut the track down. My face was black from the grime off the track. Running the cart was fun. No risk involved. I wasn't worried about crashing and if the cart broke it wasn't my problem. I couldn't stop grinning. Running my car at the hills isn't fun in that sense. It is a very intense experience that is rewarding when things go well. It's not really fun in the sense that I'm grinning and laughing as I go up the hill. In fact most of the time it is closer to scary than fun. It's an exercise in fear management for me much of the time. I still can't eat breakfast on race day mornings because I always have butterflies in my stomach. That often starts on Thurs before Ascutney where I crashed really hard once. So if I've run a good time part of me is happy to avoid scaring myself again on the small chance of making a slightly better time.

I really think part of the appeal of the Daewoo is that it's low risk and thus more fun while you are doing it.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Think you're going to push it too hard if you keep going? Try just a spirited and fun run up the hill.... don't think about times.
I haven't had much luck with this. I have lined up with that intention but the next thing I know I'm going into check 1 at Burke with my foot flat on the floor in 4th gear. I seem to forget everything once the start light goes green. :o
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I think David Higgins the subaru rally driver was recently quoted as saying(about rally)...."I love it, but hate every moment of it". That about sums it up for me.
I love it, but it can get me worked up. It's good to have Andrew and Rhonda along, to help distract me a bit so I don't obsess about every detail.

I typically don't sleep well on Friday evening. However, now that that I'm a little more comfortable with the hills, I can get a better nights sleep. If something wakes me up, I have a devil of a time getting back to sleep. If my back is sore, then it's worse. Usually sleep will be a contributing factor on how well things go for me.
I always sleep well saturday night.....but If I don't sleep on Friday it catches up to me by Sunday.

Beer also makes a difference. There is a lot of good beer exchanges at the hill. I pretty much need to stay with two beers an evening of something I'm use to. Some of that unfiltered stuff will give me a headache if I so much as look at it wrong. I need just enough to nudge me towards sleep, but not so much as to cause sleep issues.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

after I do something stupid and hit a tree.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

I was using that technique, with similar results. Ditto on taking "an easy pass",
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

KevinGale wrote:
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Think you're going to push it too hard if you keep going? Try just a spirited and fun run up the hill.... don't think about times.
I haven't had much luck with this. I have lined up with that intention but the next thing I know I'm going into check 1 at Burke with my foot flat on the floor in 4th gear. I seem to forget everything once the start light goes green. :o
Just sit at the green light for 10 seconds. A good time is gone.... have fun and drive.

I don't get nervous at all. I enjoy ever minute of it. I do notice that from time to time I am holding my breath during some of the technical/fast sections.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:
KevinGale wrote:
Just sit at the green light for 10 seconds. A good time is gone.... have fun and drive.

I don't get nervous at all. I enjoy ever minute of it. I do notice that from time to time I am holding my breath during some of the technical/fast sections.
Actually I can do the easy run if I really want to do it. For example I had no problem doing it all weekend when I drove Sherm's car at Okemo.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

If I have my way, I want my last pass of the day to be a good one. Doesn't have to be the fastest-just well driven. Thats the one you are gonna have stuck in your memory banks. Its something I learned from my many years of ice racing bikes. That last lap in late Feb. is what you are going to be remembering for 11 months looking forward to the next time you can go out. Its a mantra I've stuck by.
I remember my last lap on the ice from 8 years ago. (sloppy wet day-fell over a bunch of times-was dead tired-but i was insistant on getting one good one in.)
My last trip down a drag strip (9.09 @ 147mph at Lebanon Valley)
My last lap racing in the dirt with my car (got sideways-spun-smashed into-left on the hook) THIS i really regret-and its why I want to end every race day with something to remember. God forbid something happens that that run could be your last.
And those butterflies? Cherish them. One day they'll go away-along with some of the excitement. The anticipation is part of the game.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.