General questions

Quicker
AntiSpam: No

Re: General questions

Post by Quicker »

After a quick look at the classes, I assume that my car would be in the Formula Libre class as it is not available in the USA as a fully assembled vehicle. I must say that I find the idea of the arm restraints quite distasteful............these cars are not easy to get out of under the best of circumstances. Having to remove extra belts after an accident would only add to the difficulty and the time. Could someone please explain the "breakout" rule to me..........I looked, but could not find it in the regs.

Michael
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The rule says the car must be available in North America and at least 500 produced to qualify as a production based car. It doesnt say it has to be assembled by the manufacturer. Currently there appear to be at least 4 places to buy a Birkin 7 in the US. As far as I cant tell the S3 model has been in production since about 1983. I would bet over 500 of them have been produced.

If your car can fit into one of our Street Prepared (S) class, I would recommend that. It probably doesnt fit U unless you can produce some documents that show it is exactly as sold new (ignoring non-performance options). P classes requires cages. To run Formula Libre your car must be legal in any NEHA class (except for max displacement limits in P1). Read what is needed to fit into S here: http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 4class.pdf. Basically if it is "road legal" it should fit into S. If not, then P.

The breakout rule is discussed in the tech rules http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 14tech.pdf section 4.E.2 and 4.E.3.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

In practice, arm restraints are pretty easy to deal with. There are cuffs which are placed just above the elbow, and straps which buckle, individually, into the main buckle of the harness. Image
I've been told that correct adjustment limits the elbow from going above the shoulder, and I know that when adjusted this way, they're almost invisible is use.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I can see though where some sort of quick release would be useful if you are trying to quickly get out of a car that is on its roof and in the excitement you just released the harness buckle before you unhooked from the arm restraints and now you are laying upside down on the roof with both arms pinned up toward the seat bottom by the restraints because they didnt slip off the end of the open lap belt like they should have ...
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

I use an older version of AutoPower restraints. They have a metal ring to connect with the metal portion of the buckle. I like it because it is less wear on the fabric of the restraint and less likely to get hung up on the buckle. See link below.
Brian

http://www.autopowerindustries.com/armrestraints.asp
Quicker

Post by Quicker »

Thanks again for all the feedback. Walter, you are correct.........there are way more than 500 Birkin S3s out there. My car is number 1009 and it is a 1999. They are still making them today. I guess the only compromise to running Street prepared is that one is limited to street tires......no slicks.
I thought that as a 64 year old avid motorsports fan (except oval track racing) I had seen most of the modern safety innovations, but the arm restraints are new to me. Thanks for the pictures and links. I suppose that one can get used to almost anything and i do see the value in a high speed rollover. I would certainly want them to be free once I hit the harness release though. The 7 is a really minimalist car and as a 6' 1" 220# guy, I can tell you that you really wear the car rather than sit in it.

Michael
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

You can run slicks in SP, but you are limited to DOT slicks.
Examples being Hoosier A6 and R6, Kumho V710, Toyo R888 and RA1 and so on. Basically autocross oriented slicks. They do work well as they get heat in them quickly.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I was on the phone with Don this afternoon and he reminded of something. Does this car have a framed windshield? If not that is a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
Drgrumpus

Post by Drgrumpus »

I've been following this thread with interest. First, I found out about hill climb suspension set ups after 25 yrs road racing. Soft (stock) springs, soft swaybar, plenty of toe-in to correct bump steer, and at least 4 inches ride height plus a skid plate under the oil pan. That is what my Toyota 4AG powered MG Midget needs.

As for arm restraints, I've used them for over 20 yrs since I mostly drive open cars. They come off the lap buckle well. As for height/weight, I match you. Once I get my arse into that Midgy, it fits like a glove. With a full cage, ingress/egress is a challenge.

Hope to see yer Seven at the hills.

Mike
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

sachilles wrote:You can run slicks in SP, but you are limited to DOT slicks.
Examples being Hoosier A6 and R6, Kumho V710, Toyo R888 and RA1 and so on. Basically autocross oriented slicks. They do work well as they get heat in them quickly.
Just be aware of the <100 treadwear displacement modification.