240 hill climb

beantwn240
AntiSpam: No

240 hill climb

Post by beantwn240 »

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum, and looking to get my 240sx s13 to do some hill climb events. A good friend of mine in VT has been talking about the Philo hill climb, and another friend plans to run in it this year. Here's a quick run down of what I'm dealing with, and look forward to hearing what people have to suggest.

Interior- dash, door cards, center console, carpet, sound dampening, trunk, and rear seats have all be removed (still have dash, door cards and center console) Running a Corbeau FX1 seat, 4pt roll bar, and Scroth 6pt harness.

Performance- Sr20det swap, gt28 turbo, FMIC, 6 puck clutch, straight 3" turbo back exhaust, z32 MAF, injectors, and isis exhaust manifold. Suspensions has been upgraded to coil overs as well.

Currently running 17x7" wheels, but will be upgrading the rears soon, either staying with 17 or might go to 16 all around.

What else needs to be done in order to have the vehicle ready to climb some hills? I know I will need a helmet, and have had people suggest a HANS device, but figured Id ask on here sense im sure im missing other items that's very important. I don't plan to push the car very hard as i have not yet raced up a hill. I will be getting sideways (no welded diff sense I want to do more than just drift) at some drift events, as well as some auto cross events this season before I get on a Hill. Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing everyone's suggestions and opinions.
Kent Everding

Re: 240 hill climb

Post by Kent Everding »

Welcome aboard!
With a 4 pt roll bar you will subjected to staying above the break-out times posted for each hill. Only vehicles with a minimum 6 pt roll cage are allowed to break-out.
BR times are as follows:
Philo - 1:20
Okemo - 2:43
Burke - 2:30
Ascutney Short - 3:20, Ascutney Long - 4:20
With or without a cage you will need a minimum of 2.5 lbs of fire bottle with an ABC rating and only Metal Brackets.
Save your door cards, you need to have something covering the interior metal surfaces.
I personally would advise a Hans type device to everyone but it is not Mandatory unless you have a cage.
Dont set your coils too stiff, these hills are not smooth.
That 3" TBE needs a muffler.
Everything under the hood needs to be in good shape like radiator hoses, no frayed wires , good battery tie down etc...
Suspension pick-up points, wheel bearings etc. need to be in good shape as well.
If you do not have a fire suit be sure to bring long cotton pants and a long sleeve cotton shirt. I think denim is ok too.
Leather shoes. No sneakers. I would think most of this is the same for drift events.
Best of luck to you. Hope to see you out there!
05 STi #109
Pascal

Post by Pascal »

I think Kent covered things pretty good. The only thing I would disagree with would be the muffler. There are dBA limits at some hills, but I would be surprised if you have an issue with that with a 3in exhaust with a turbo. A couple things I would add are to make sure you have a Snell SA rated helmet that is in date, 2005 or 2010, not an M rated helmet. Since you have the door cards, you might as well put those back in. You could also use another material, aluminum etc, the goal is to cover up the interior of the door which tend to have a lot of exposed edges.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

A 4 point cage wont count (6 point minimum) so either that needs to be uprated or you need to make sure the car can fit into Street Prepared. That means the dash and a heater need to be in the car, the lights and horn need to work. The rest can stay removed but you need to figure an "excess lightening" into you class determination worksheet.

Regardless of class you have something covering the insides of the doors where your arms could come in contact with potentially sharp and pointy things, including the edges of sheet metal. Or the doors need to be gutted and protective edging applied around the remaining edges. Note: Dont remove any side impact protection in the doors.

Please read the technical and classification rules. They arent that long. and they should clear up a bunch of things for you before they even get asked.
The older I get the better I was.
beantwn240

Post by beantwn240 »

I dont imagine im going to be going to fast as i want to get a bit more comfortable before i start to push the car further, but also want to be safe as well. I have been reading up the rules and reg, to have a good idea on what i need to do. If anyone has anything else to add or comment on please post. Thanks for the help everyone!
beantwn240

Post by beantwn240 »

Looking threw the regulations for street prepped, and wanted to clarify a few things. I removed the rear bumper cover (not the bumper itself), however it looks like that must be on the vehicle to be considered street prepped? Also the heater core is still in the car, but removed all of the duct work. The Dash I will be putting back as well, but is striped from radio and heating controls. Just want to make sure I read it properly.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

beantwn240 wrote:Looking threw the regulations for street prepped, and wanted to clarify a few things. I removed the rear bumper cover (not the bumper itself), however it looks like that must be on the vehicle to be considered street prepped? Also the heater core is still in the car, but removed all of the duct work. The Dash I will be putting back as well, but is striped from radio and heating controls. Just want to make sure I read it properly.
Missing the duct work is not a big deal so long as the heater core and box are there. You might want to consider getting a defrost function working, though not specifically required.

You can have optional things like the radio removed from your dash.

The bumper cover is a bigger issue. We generally consider the cover to be synonymous with "bumper" in these cases. You should contact Don Taylor to get his take on this as his judgement is the one that counts at an event. If you want to contact him and dont already know how, PM me and I will give you what you need to get in touch with him.
The older I get the better I was.
beantwn240

Post by beantwn240 »

Thanks ^ the rear bumper is not a big deal, its held on with a few bolt, not hard to put back on for the events, just figured Id ask.