PRICE

diesel2wd
AntiSpam: No

PRICE

Post by diesel2wd »

ok, I just joined and was interested in the ascutney hill climb as a cheap start. seeing as you can run an all stock car and still, "possibly" be competitive. until I found out its 160.00 plus before you even show up, now I know race events aren't cheap in general but I have to say that this is a little ridiculous. and it looks to me that the fee is just for ascutney only? so it sounds to me like id be around a grand or more by the end of the summer? if I ran all the events?
britracer89

Re: PRICE

Post by britracer89 »

Hillclimbing is cheap. Have you checked track events. They run $200 plus and many are weekday events so thats a day off work as well. Auto-x may be better suited to your idea of expensive.
diesel2wd

Post by diesel2wd »

registration at a typical auto cross is 30 buck, at least it is in maine, a circle track is between 25 and 50, "with cash prizes" but the car costs more since its single function. I just went over the reserved numbers list and if just the people with reserved numbers show up, its still 15,000 dollars income. im not sure where all that goes but with no payout other than fun, 160 bucks is still a little steep, at least for me.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

circle tracks have the gate to fund prize payouts.
Not everyone on the reserved number shows up for one event. Please look at the results and see the average turnout.
Hill rental costs a significant amount(thousands), Insurance, and equipment. We also provide lunch to the entrant as well as the volunteer workers.
We also pay for ambulance service. Wrecker service is an added bonus.
These are two day events
$160 is barely enough to keep this floating. There is no extra money lining anyone's pockets.
You should check out the entry fees for rallies in the area if you want an idea of expensive.....and they are just covering costs.
You are certainly welcome to volunteer in the process to help reduce the costs.
We'd love to be less, but it's not reality.

-Seth
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

As Brian said, it's all relative. We take value pretty seriously, as many of us are fiscally challenged, and we are REALLY not into funding cruises for somebody's board..... Some things to remember - PROFESSIONAL fire & rescue, same as NHIS - half the event budget goes there. STATE PARK FEES have gone from $25 a weekend in the 70's to $1000 minimum now, plus various additional charges and deposits. Drivers get a worker lunch at the event, saving $$ and/or time to run out. Soda, water (and usually beer. after...) are free for workers always, and usually for drivers.
Then there are the 2 custom-built, hard-wire field phone systems (radios, no matter how expensive or exotic, do not cut it) and the new timing and starting system is custom too. - they simply cannot be bought,( we asked, more than once) and would cost many thousands to duplicate - watch vids from the last couple years. Oh, yeah - most events, you can get your times minutes after your run on a smart phone,complete run times are handed out at the event, and archived through the website. There is no national club to join, or license to maintain. We have no "spec", "sealed", or "crate" rules, as we find they actually increase costs for the entrant. The entry fee is IT, to come and run the event - we do not charge a separate admission or gate fee for crews or families. (So Bubba's Speedway "only" charges a $30/day entry fee - but it's $20 gate for driver and each crew, and hot dogs are $4-) We sometimes sell extra lunches - pretty much at cost - and some venues have day use or camping fees. By and large, you can lock your wallet up after you register.
diesel2wd

Post by diesel2wd »

I didn't want to sound like an a-hole if I did I apologize. I wasn't aware that lunch and drinks were covered for volunteers. was also not aware that it was a 2 day event. now im equating it to a 2 day P.A.S.S. weekend at a circle track, which with entrance fees, lunch, and registration would be between 140 and 175, "without beer or smokes". makes better sense now. also was not aware EMS service was that expensive., brings me to another question...... do volunteers drive as well? at the auto cross events ive been to if you drove, you worked the track, PERIOD.... when it was your turn to run, someone covered your job, when run was over, you returned to your post.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

We have a great core of volunteers but are often a little short handed so sometimes we will ask a couple drivers to alternate runs with checkpoint manning. Some regular volunteers also drive, like Don and I with the wrecker. Often drivers who have disabled cars volunteer to work.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
The older I get the better I was.
diesel2wd

Post by diesel2wd »

ok, if I didn't want to drive, since i straight up cannot afford it right now, how would I go about volunteering?
minirally

Post by minirally »

$160 it,s a great price when you think about all cost involve..... and all people work for free!! Same thing here in quebec when we organizated ice race, people thinks we made lot of money..... but at the end,sometimes the organisation take money from there Pocket just to cover the fees...because we love racing!!
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Short answer on volunteering - SHOW UP EARLY, LOOK FOR THE WORKER MEETING. Bring a lawn chair, layer of clothes, your fave bug dope.