So......

sdwarf36

Re: So......

Post by sdwarf36 »

If I had a XS 650-I'd street track that *itch right quick! 8-) Image

Ain't that pretty? :D
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

Right there Sherm, that's the plan...it's a pile so definitely a clean slate for me to play with. The 400 is less desireable, but price is right and it comes with a complete 2nd engine too. A mix of a tracker and some sort of brat, probably some tires with some knobs as it will be a summer daily and I like the back roads a lot. We'll see. I did get into working on the rabbit the last couple nights, and I tore it ALL apart, so not sure what I was thinking...now I got plenty of project fix ;)
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

dsldubn wrote:I did get into working on the rabbit the last couple nights, and I tore it ALL apart, so not sure what I was thinking...now I got plenty of project fix ;)
Spring is in the air. :lol:
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

sdwarf36 wrote:If I had a XS 650-I'd street track that *itch right quick! 8-)

Hell yeah. Talk about a fun ride!
dsldubn wrote:Right there Sherm, that's the plan...it's a pile so definitely a clean slate for me to play with. The 400 is less desireable, but price is right and it comes with a complete 2nd engine too. A mix of a tracker and some sort of brat, probably some tires with some knobs as it will be a summer daily and I like the back roads a lot. We'll see. I did get into working on the rabbit the last couple nights, and I tore it ALL apart, so not sure what I was thinking...now I got plenty of project fix ;)
I'd go with the knobs an stuff, build an old school enduro, that's fun dude! Who cares whats desirable.
I built a 76, GS-400, similar, just part swapped it, striped for weight and ran old school trial tires. With a gutted air box, shortened up-swept pipes and some head work.
I was really impressed with it. Power slide a corner like a boss. Thing was screamer, I sold it. The dude had the cash out after a ride, it really boogied.
I kind of miss it.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
RacingFrog

Post by RacingFrog »

Ice racing season is officially over and the PrincesSTI seems ready to switch to hillclimb mode!

--
FrogRacing: Because Frogs can climb too!
http://frogracing.us
http://www.facebook.com/frogracing
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Super1303 wrote:
sdwarf36 wrote:If I had a XS 650-I'd street track that *itch right quick! 8-)

Hell yeah. Talk about a fun ride!
dsldubn wrote:Right there Sherm, that's the plan...it's a pile so definitely a clean slate for me to play with. The 400 is less desireable, but price is right and it comes with a complete 2nd engine too. A mix of a tracker and some sort of brat, probably some tires with some knobs as it will be a summer daily and I like the back roads a lot. We'll see. I did get into working on the rabbit the last couple nights, and I tore it ALL apart, so not sure what I was thinking...now I got plenty of project fix ;)
I'd go with the knobs an stuff, build an old school enduro, that's fun dude! Who cares whats desirable.
I built a 76, GS-400, similar, just part swapped it, striped for weight and ran old school trial tires. With a gutted air box, shortened up-swept pipes and some head work.
I was really impressed with it. Power slide a corner like a boss. Thing was screamer, I sold it. The dude had the cash out after a ride, it really boogied.
I kind of miss it.
I got one down here I need to get rid of for a neighbor. Mid-late 70's (maybe its a 425?) metallic blue-period correct JC Whitney fairing and tail trunk-one owner. Been indoors its whole life. Unused for maybe 20 years-last run by me after cleaning the carbs. A couple-few hundred would take it.

Jay-send me your carbs + I'll do them up for you. I got all the stuff -and an insane amount of experience from the years of MTBE-and then alcohol in gas. :roll:
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

wow Sherm, that'd be awesome! I have two sets, both suck, so I'll find the best and we'll talk.. I won't 'have any bike play time until Sunday night at earliest

I was down to just one bike, my old Honda TL125 that I beat around the property and ride some trails with, so needed another pile of a project in 2 wheel form

...and back to hillclimbing, the rabbit hood hole got much bigger last night for the new IC so maybe I'll be able to keep my foot in it without pegging the EGT gauge...hillclimb season is on the way....
Jason Orzell
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

There's the new pile. Already shortened the frame and fender now getting all junk working then strip and change and paint
Jason Orzell
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

You are a saint or a glutton for punishment, :lol: defiantly giving it a better out look on life.
Man I screamed inside when I saw that first picture. :o Poor thing needs some love.

I just came across this and wanted to throw it your way for some home made pipes or whatever.
Thought it was pretty sweet.
http://www.coneeng.com/custom_fabrication.html
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

Glutton for punishment. It was rotting at my step brother's house and him and I seem to swap projects around. Today I cut up the seat pan during free moments away from the play dough table, it should come into it eventually. Building on the cheap or free so it's a fun no stress project
Jason Orzell