Drones at events....

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: Drones at events....

Post by drummingpariah »

jkale wrote:If they're gonna be used they need to be regulated. I like the idea of a very small weight limit.

I agree with you Kevin, If they are allowed at any level, I never want to see them while driving.
That's how I think all media should be handled, including photographers.
IanCook

Post by IanCook »

I thought I might weigh in on this considering I was the drone pilot at Okemo. First off, I'm a racer far before I'm a drone enthusiast. Despite missing most of Saturday due to a well camouflaged short circuit, Ascutney was a blast and I think you'll be seeing me at most of the events this season.

You absolutely need rules concerning drones if they are to be at events. There is already quite a bit going on at an event, adding drones is just another thing that can go wrong. With nothing but trees around, crashing onto a branch, then the race surface is quite likely! Not to mention, hitting cars is one thing, hitting a spectator is just as likely. Generally there are spectators in the areas where flying is ideal, like at the Sugarhouse at Okemo. If it were up to me, I'd say no drones while the course is hot.

I would still like to flt the quadcopter to take shots from the summit before or after an event, but flying that close to the action isn't worth the risk.

If it's worth the footage, I can design a cable camera system. Naturally that's less risky and can handle a much better camera and lens.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

If it's worth the footage, I can design a cable camera system. Naturally that's less risky and can handle a much better camera and lens.
Cable system to follow the car up a section of the track. :)

Thanks for weighing in. Always good to get another perspective.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com