History of Okemo discussion

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

History of Okemo discussion

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:31:37 -0400
Subject: Old time Okemo Info needed ASAP
To: nehalist@googlegroups.com

I got an email-and had a phone conversation with author Karen Lorentz-shes updating a book she wrote in 1996 about the history of Okemo Mountian. The info she had was that KSCC put on the 1st hillclimb in Oct 1965-said no-one had ever corrected her. If anyone knows one way or the other, she'd like to know. (there may also be a pic to identify coming.) She needs to have an answer by Thurs. So Smokey-George Mike-put your thinking caps on.

Thanks
Sherman
Reply-to: nehalist@googlegroups.com
Sent: 10/26/2009 11:44:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: RE: Old time Okemo Info needed ASAP

Sherm,

I co-chaired the first Okemo with Dick Bioty and it was in the Fall of 1968. We had a Spring Okemo in 1969. Chaired the next six or so after that. Road and Track Magazine did an article on Okemo sometime in the 70s, and John Reed has or had a copy of that magazine that I gave him for the KSCC records.

Smokey
To: Sdwarf36@aol.com
Subject: Re: Old time Okemo Info needed ASAP
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:57:32 -0400
thank you all
Could there have been a sports car race prior to the hill climbs?
I have a bill alsup race car - photo I have to get scanned so can send to you so see if familiar?
I have to dig to see why I had 1965 in first book - perhaps Bill Alsup simply came over to run up mt - his wire rope company in Woodstock or Poma somehow related to him working there.
seems like unless it was another event then, that I should change to 1968 which is close to date I was given first go round.
Karen
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:38:36 -0400

Sherm:

I am in possession of dash plaque that says:

"1st Annual
Okemo Hill Climb
Oct. 12 & 13, 1968"

It has a wire wheel based emblem on its left side that has "Killington Sports Car Club" around its periphery.

Also, I was there. My corn popper SAAB had a weak clutch and I think I probably managed slowest time of the day. Most interesting moment (for me) was to line up behind a fierce looking mid-engine Cicada and listen to the crew admonish the driver to take it easy on the drive line when leaving. He proceeded to do the opposite, snapping the drive shaft. As they might say in Maine, that car didn't move a God Damned Inch!

Star of the day was slim, delightful Mary (can't recall), local Chevy dealer's daughter, who drove the wheels off a new Z28 to take FTD, I think.

Also-- you're doing a great job!

Don Peaslee
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:35 PM
Subject: RE: Old time Okemo Info needed ASAP

Mary Ryan was the petite school teacher who drove a mean Z28 Camaro. FTD was taken by Ron Bogers with an open wheel, home built machine. I took first in class with a 67 Covette small block (327 C.I.. 350 h.p.). I think we had close to 65 entries, with a waiting list. Also, the entry fee was around $12.00. Our check point communications was provided by a C.B. club and was quite inconsistant.
The event was sponsored by Okemo. They employed a new General Manager by the name of Gene Libby. He came to one of our KSCC meetings during the summer of 68, asking us to consider having a hill climb at Okemo. Several of us went to Okemo and drove the hill. We were quite excited about the challenging road. Up until 68, KSCC ran a Killington Hill Climb on the access road leading to the upper parking lot of the Rams Head trail. In all actuality, it was an uphill drag race; fast and dangerous for the big horsepower cars, so much so that an artifical chicane made out of haybales was placed in the middle of the fastest part of the course.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:38:33 -0400

Smokey,
I competed at an odd hill climb in 1968 but can't remember where it was -- could it have been the Ram's Head parking lot event? It was extremely fast and was won by an Olds 4-4-2 that wrecked badly just past the finish. Unfortunately I had lent the Olds driver my helmet and it was a difficult process to get it back. He was stuck (literally) in the car at the top and I was stuck at the bottom with no way to get to the top without a helmet.

I was second in a 1965 Jaguar Mk2 sedan and was leading the event until the Olds' banzai last run. Should have kept the helmet.

Brgds,
Bob D'Amore
Sent: Wed, Oct 28, 2009 9:20 pm
Subject: RE: Old time Okemo Info needed ASAP

Bob,

The last Killington Hill Climb was in 1967. Your brief description resembles the course and, I think there was a 442 Olds that participated back then. When the opportunity to run Okemo in 1968 came to fruition, there was a division among the club members. As a club, we agreed that it was not possible to run both the Killington Hill Climb and Okemo Hill Climb in the Fall. As you may surmise, there were strong feelings among the members, with much discussion and apprehension; not to mention a feeling among some members that the KSCC was abandoning its namesake. Eventually, with some support from several of the veteran members, a vote was taken with the result in Okemo's favor. Some of the enticements were: we could use the new base lodge for no cost, Okemo agreed to pay the fee to the State of Vermont, the Ludlow Police and Fire Department offered/volunteered their services, and Okemo purchased the FTD trophy. Probably, because of the success of the first Okemo event, we never pursued a return to the Killington Climb.
The only other fast, uphill drag race type of event in Vermont that I'm aware of was the Bolton Valley Hill Climb but, am not sure it was running at the time.
Long answer to a short question.
Sent: Thu, Oct 29, 2009 8:53 am

Smokey,
Thanks for the clarification and history. I think it could have been 1967 -- I was in a lovely place called Ghia Din until the end of August that year, but I think I did go to a hill climb soon after getting back to the states.
I'm sure it wasn't Bolton Valley. I remember that place well thanks to the shellacking you gave all of us there back in '04.
Bob
Sent: Thu, Oct 29, 2009 7:34 pm
Subject: RE: 1968 Okemo picture

It is NOT Doug Garner and, I don't know who it is.
Will try to copy the picture and ask one of the original members, Steve Graham, who is still in the area.
Smokey
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
W.Vaillancourt

Re: History of Okemo discussion

Post by W.Vaillancourt »

Thats very cool. Love the helmet lol. Go speed racer! I would love to see more old pictures from these events.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

It looked like Valliere's "Fish", so I sent it to Drew and he confirmed. Drew is trying to get some additional info from Davie.

As I remember the Fish car came to Valliere from Rick Highland in Bow, NH with a Corvair engine, which looks to be the powerplant in the car in the photo. The ball joint bug front axle is what caught my eye as looked like the Fish but all that engine chrome must have been while it was in the possession of a much more fastidious owner than Mr. Valliere.

Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Bump for Roy
44 mod

Post by 44 mod »

Thanks for the info