Attn Kevin G, have I got an idea for you.

KevinGale

Re: Attn Kevin G, have I got an idea for you.

Post by KevinGale »

Assuming that SCCV buys the display metioned above I'm hoping to be able to write code for it this year and maybe try it out at Philo. If it all works out maybe we will talk about buying another display at the winter meeting. (I'm assuming that we won't want to just rent the SCCV display becuase of potential conflicts with their Auto-X schedule.)

I've also been thinking a lot about the start. The more I think about it the more I'm wondering if the whole count down tree is really worth the trouble. Even if we have the tree we really still need a light beam at the start to catch people who jump the start. If we have to have the beam why not just position the beam so it's a few feet in front of the start. The starter would just signal when the driver is clear to go. They launch and break the beam which sends a tone up the wire and starts the clock. To get a good time you would still need a good launch so not much would change.

The setup would then be much simpler since no light tree with count down software would be needed. Also it would basically eliminate losing a time because you jumped the start.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

We did get the display fyi.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote:We did get the display fyi.
Great! I'll setup a reminder to myself to write some code to output times. It shouldn't be very hard. We may even be able to test it before Philo if someone is willing to haul it to an event.
I may also have to create a long serial cable. We will want to position this display 50-100' after finish. Probably at least 100' at Okemo since the fast cars are going through at 100mph or so. In theory the RS232 specs says a max of 50' at 9600 baud but I've seen several times that distance work reliably so I don't think 100' will be a problem.
MX5 Driver

Post by MX5 Driver »

Kevin,
The display uses a custom cable for communicating with the Axware timer box. It does not plug directly into the computer. However, it does state it should work out to 200'.

Here is a link to the cable configuration.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
REMEMBER
STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

Post by STI NICK »

I have tons of this cable available to me. making a longer cable shouldnt be a problem.
Nick
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

STI NICK wrote:I have tons of this cable available to me. making a longer cable shouldnt be a problem.
Great.