Attn Kevin G, have I got an idea for you.

sachilles

Attn Kevin G, have I got an idea for you.

Post by sachilles »

Through work I discovered bluetooth marketing. You can use bluetooth via your computer to send a marketing message to bluetooth enabled phones.
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titl ... reware.htm
The link has a bunch of bluetooth shareware programs, and some are marketing related. Some of them allow the phone user to choose files they can import to their phone, while others broadcast info.
I wonder if you could work your magic to broadcast via bluetooth lap times/results. Range is about 100 ft depending upon what you use to broadcast it with, and their are ways to improve upon that as well. Blue tooth dongles are less than 10 bucks these days, so the hardware cost isn't a deal breaker.
I'm sure it is a case of easier said than done. Just thought it was a neat idea worth pondering.

However, I do have old bluetooth PDA that I could donate. This would allow you to have a "remote display" of run times, so you don't have to worry about drivers and other folks bugging you for run times at the top of the hill. Should the driver be savvy enough to have a bluetooth phone, they time could be broadcast to their phone as well.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Re: Attn Kevin G, have I got an idea for you.

Post by KevinGale »

Thirty meters isn't enough, even if it would reach that far. (That's more than three times the distance of the bluetooth spec.) Okemo, Burke and Philo all need a longer distance.

But that's just a technical problem. It's really a logistical problem of dealing with equipment. I want to drive this year and I'm not interested in signing up for more equipment to setup, tote and another battery to charge between events. If someone can solve that problem I'm more than willing to write the software.

The PDA can't just be hung from a tree, since it's not waterproof. Placing it under an easy-up brings other problems since the easy-up needs to be fastened down securely which means more setup, worse if setup in in a parking lot since you can't use stakes and need heavy objects. There also should be a table to put the pda or computer on which is yet another thing to be setup and taken down. To get around the easy up somone might be able to make a water proof box that has a clear top but then how do can a person scroll up or down to see results that don't fit on the screen. Even a PDA probably won't run 10 hours and even it if can someone would have to recharge it overnight so it can run the next day. That is often a real problem. To avoid this we need a decent size external battery to that can power the device all weekend and maybe an inverter. Since wireless probably won't work we also need 100 meters of so of network cable. Yet another thing that needs to be setup, hauled around and maintained.

I currently handle the finish equipment. I make sure it's maintained, setup and hauled to each event. I have to do this for two reasons. One is making sure the battery is charged. If the equipment is just stored in the trailer the battery will arrive at the next event with no charge. The second reason is the equipment won't arrive at the next event at all. I'd get to Ascutney and realize all the finish equipment is in the Killington club trailer that isn't at the SCCNH event. :)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

No worries, I just thought it was a neat idea. I figured if it could save you some work, you'd want to know about it.
Certainly, wouldn't want to make it more work for you, that was not the intent.
I know at our autocrosses, people bugging the timing desk can be a pain. I forgot that timing is ways down from top of the hill. For some reason I equate it to being at the top.
Sachilles
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

At Ascutney and to a lesser amount at Philo people do ask for times. It's occasinally distracting but It's also nice for a couple of reasons. We are able to get information from people that we don't always have. So we can ask the newbie for name, number, car and class info. It's also nice just to chat with people for a while.

That said it would be really nice if there was a way for people to get their times without having to bother anyone or walk to finish. What I'd really like to do longer term is setup one of those large displays after finish that would display your time. So right after you drive by finish you can look at the display and see your time. This will be a bit expensive since the displays are serveral hundred dollars. It will also have some of the same setup, and hauling around problems but longer term it's proabably worth it. I just don't want to do it this year. Maybe next year I'll look into it and figure out how to fund it.

Given we are also talking about a count down style light at the start which also needs a battery charged and must be hauled to each NEHA event, maybe it is time we figured out a solution to this problem of common NEHA hillclimb equipment. We may need a separate NEHA trailer and we probably have to figure out how to deal with batteries.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The SCCV is in the process of ordering said display (5" x 6 digits). Something that we can make work for Philo?
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Steve,

I should be able to make it work. I'll need programming information for it. I also may need access to it before Philo for some debugging. I'd really like to try this since if it works well it will sell itself. Do you have the manufacturer and model info? They may have an manual I can download.
MX5 Driver

Post by MX5 Driver »

Here's the one we will be purchasing. It will be used in conjunction with our new timing software.

Display
http://axwaresystems.com/store/product. ... =28&page=1

Timing Software/Equipment
http://axwaresystems.com/store/product. ... =34&page=1
Tim W.
SCCV #72
REMEMBER
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

As near as I can tell AXWare systems just buys this display from RaceAmerica. RaceAmerica does have a manual online at http://www.raceamerica.com/download/6x60manu.pdf

Looks like I should be able to write code for it without any real problems. I just need a usb to RS232 converter which I have.
Deezle

Post by Deezle »

Does the AXWare/Race America system work for hillclimbs, where the start and finish are miles apart? Or is it for AX or circuits only, where wires run from the timer to the start / finish line?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

ax ware has wire to both the start and finish lights. So it wouldn't be hugely practical hillclimbs. They also have a wireless setup, but that wouldn't have enough range either.
Sachilles