Steel Wheels

RALLY200SX
AntiSpam: No

Steel Wheels

Post by RALLY200SX »

I need some help with something: I am looking to get another set of rims & tires and was considering a set of steelies. I have heard that in some cases the steel is thin and the lugs have actually pulled through the thin steel. Does anyone have any input or experience with this issue to help me decide (I would like to get a set of alloys but $$ is an issue) - I have seen them used at rallies before with no issues. Would road events be harder on the rim - especially if R compound rubber is used? Thanks, Jim
#16 1987 Mazda RX7
sdwarf36

Re: Steel Wheels

Post by sdwarf36 »

Boy--thats a new one. Was the person claiming this selling aluminum wheels? :lol:

dont worry about it--you'll be fine.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I think the issue might be some of the racing steel wheels like from diamond racing(which rally200 might want to check out) are suppose to use 45° taper lugs. If you use the standard taper you can start to oval out the hole a little. I'm sure through the help of the internet maybe this got blow out of whack into the rumor you heard. Lots of folks use steel wheels.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Seth is exactly right on the lugnut thing. Some of the contributing factors: Some OEM lugnuts, like the chrome capped GM ones, are very soft and undersize - they will even pull thru an OEM wheel in extreme applications (like RF on a street stock).
plus - racing wheels like the Diamond, Aero. Basset, IR Wheel (formerly R&R) and Bart are made to accomidate 5/8" stud retrofits and the accompanying 1" hex lugnuts. The oversize, 45' nuts for OE thread sizes are adapters for the smaller studs.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151