Old School Cool

Mopar 151

Re: Old School Cool

Post by Mopar 151 »

Many of these pics are from the excellent http://www.catamountstadium.com/Index.htm history website.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Catamount is about 2 miles down the road from me. Too a while to locate where the track is located as it is currently bisected by a road in an industrial park. If I had a snowmobile I would probably run the track in the winter. The banked turn is still there.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

SCCV autocrossed the track a while back. You might not remember.
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Number_5 wrote:SCCV autocrossed the track a while back. You might not remember.
John M
Really?!? Long before my time... Anyone have photos or video of the SCCV there? I might find something in the huge box of stuff that John Buffum gave me... still trying to get through that (next winter, perhaps). :mrgreen: I do recall that we had two autocross events at Thunder Road.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Best drag car name ever: "Blood, Sweat, & Nitro"
This is now a "cracklefest" car - not raced (too f'n dangerous - there are reasons this generation of dragsters ended up in barns), but fired up for display, and restored/recreated by many of the original craftsmen. Old school?
That ain't no viniyl wrap, pal! http://cacklefest.com/BSN.shtml is the restoration story.
http://cacklefest.com/cacklecars.shtml has a bunch more.

My fav is a car which "never was" - Aluminium master Tom Hanna did many of the bodies "back in the day", and got the bug to build the car he'd always wanted to. The dragster as FINE art, truly
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

fixed the pics in an earlier post on dirt mods
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Jerry Driscoll's hobby car, at the old Norwood Arena - a couple miles from Alex and Bill's shop!Image Jerry's LMS Plymouth GTXImageJerry Driscoll's Plymouth Late Model Sportsman sits in his driveway at home prior to the start of the 1970 season. He was one of the few to run cars other then Ford or GM products. Driscoll's cars looked great and performed well. He was a regular visitor to victory lane throughout his career at Norwood Arena.
Photo: April 1970, carl merril collection caption
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

At one point on Sunday, I think Alex was sporting #61 - that's some serious karma, cuz' Richie was about as good as there ever was! 11 time National Champion in the modifieds, excellent mechanic and car builder, daring and tenacious short track driver, legendary partier! "You can get a lot done, if you ain't afraid to buy some beer!"ImageImageRichie had a great sponsor, but "We don't beat him up! this hauler has 300,000 on it, and we ain't askin for a new one."Image And "Evans Orange" happened to be the same color that the City of Utica painted snowplowsImage
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I have one for you John.

Any info on Joe Chici?<sp?> My dad was talking about it him this weekend. Something about being the first to run 4 wheel independent suspension in a Midget.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
nelson

Post by nelson »

Dave Richmond once rolled a Renault R5 at a Catamount Autocross. Also we once ran most of the event in the parking lot...don't remember why. Probably Tom Curley changed his mind about permission to use the track.