Old School Cool

Mopar 151

Old School Cool

Post by Mopar 151 »

Racing in our area has very deep and distinguished roots. My Dad worked for Claremont Speedway as a tech inspector from the 50's until '77, and was a great friend of Frank "Stroker" Smith, owner of the #311 and #111 cars. I've been digging around on the 'net for old racing pictures, and I'll post some on this thread - especially for folks who'd like some graphics cues on "Old School Cool".
Stroker's son Russ lettered all his cars, after Stroker painted them (surprisingly well) with a brush. The #111 was a team car,(primarily for Claremont) in identical colorsImage
"Terrible" Ted Brown, from Keene, NH - I included this for Sarah G. #92, as she is Ted's polar opposite in nearly every way - Ted was a wildman on and off the track - married 8 times, banned from Claremont for years (crews worse than Ted...), but a very skilled driver and junkyard mechanic.
Buddy Bardwell - Everybody knew Buddy! He repaired and sold hydraulic jacks throughout the area, and raced as many as 5 nights a week - spend most of his career in 1 car, the "Steer Horns" #13 Hudson-powered Ford coupe.
James' Dad's accent at Burke last year set off a whole memory cascade for me - Danville, Va. legend Wendell Scott #34ImageImage

I'll keep posting here as I get around to it - coming soon, famous #99's for Jennifer
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
sachilles

Re: Old School Cool

Post by sachilles »

Image Speaking of some of the cool new england racing history.....this book is a great read. If you are into new england circle track racing, you know who Dave Dion is. This book is well written and has a ton of history in it.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Anything Costal 181 (the publisher) puts out is good. I highly reccomend Bill Simpson's book (Racing Safely, Living Dangerously) and a hilarious oldie "They Call Me Mr. 500" by Andy Granatelli as well. :D
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Jan Opperman, in the Bogar 99. truly a unique personality - Outlaw, Hippie among rednecks, Mystic for Jesus. Tough as they made 'em, crazy brave, awareness of the car bordering on the supernatural. Won 99 of 144 features in 1 year with this car.
ImageImage
Barney Oldfield in Henry Ford's #999Image
and the restorationImage
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Dick Trickle #99 Mustang - this was the car that made his career, with an engine built by Alan Kulwicki's dad, Jerry
Our friend Jon Bail;ey used to run the "8-ball" with us Jim Shampine dominated Supermodified racing with the 8-ball car for years - this is a picture of his rear-engined offsett super which was banned, as it obsoleted the entire field at Oswego.
And another #99 - Jamie Tomaino up, for owner Bill Potts - great guys, but ask Karen P. about Bill's temper....
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

All that work and then he couldn't race it because he kicked some major buttocks? That is something that I like about the hillclimbs... do whatever you want, we will find a class for you.

Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
RichVS

Post by RichVS »

Behind Ted is the '47 ford pickup I restored in high-school. It's towing the #73 Granite State Special that was driven by Art Rousseau.

Here it is tearing up my folks driveway
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Art Rousseau was a favorite of my Dad's. Art raced stock cars too - my Dad often talked about watching him roadrace a Ford on the old motorcycle course at Gunstock.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Post by Mopar 151 »

Lew Boyd, aka Finch Fenton, Owner of Costal 181 publishing, back in the day:
If you see a family resemblance to my car, I'm happy!
Master builder, and top shoe Sonny Seamon in a classic big block powered sedan, or "coach"
The well-traveled Vega Modified Joe Ford ran with us briefly was a Sonny Seamon car - you won't ever see nicer welds on a cage of that era! (Last rumored to be a dirt late model at Rummney)
Smokey's Howe-chassis modified is listed on the time sheets as a Mod, Heavy. This started as a play on Mod Lites (the evolutionary branch of dwarf cars that Sherm's car occupies), but the term has a real lineage. In the same PA/NJ/Delaware circuit wher ModLites play now, the big-block modifieds were called "heavies". Injected, alky-burning big block engines guzzled from 50 gallon tanks (Look in the ATL book under Delaware Alky Mods), and tacky clay hooked up like a gear - many top cars ran hybrid floater rears because quick changes broke, and tires had to be screwed to the rims. I'm having a little trouble getting pics of this scene, but I'll keep diggin.
Buzzie Reutimann in the 00, father of Cup winner David ReutimannImage
Last edited by Mopar 151 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Mopar 151

Carachters

Post by Mopar 151 »

Butch Jelly, in the Rilska X at Lancaster note the "Little Stinker" - think Rilska ever ran funny fuel?
Didja ever wonder what prompted Dick Gerard to start Speedway Safety - not 100% sure, but..Image
One of my Dad's favorites, Cecil BosworthImage
A #111 for Joey! Kenny "The Shoe" ShoemakerImage
And the image I've been digging forImage
and our friend Walt Brown (founder of Brownie's Speed, father of Canaan promoter Wally and a former Ascutney driver (Diane?))Image
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151