any cyber monday deals on head and neck restraints?

sachilles

Re: any cyber monday deals on head and neck restraints?

Post by sachilles »

The place is a small retailer. Real nice guy on the phone. He's got a ton of safety gear, harness belts, seats etc. He is the one that does head and neck restraint rentals I've mentioned before.
I'm just glad to finally have one.
I suspect it will be easier to put on with the additional space I have compared to you two. I like that it addresses side impacts. Hope I never need it.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

sherm what size did you go with out of curiousity?
Sachilles
TronDD
AntiSpam: No

Post by TronDD »

He did go back and find a used rage pro in small. <$400 with the d-ring kit. For that money, I'll forgo the FIA cert. If I do ever run in Canada, I can find a HANS. I could even buy a brand new HANS and still come out less than the regular priced FIA hybrid.

Tim.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Mines a medium. And theres plenty of adjustment left.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote:I suspect it will be easier to put on with the additional space I have compared to you two. I like that it addresses side impacts. Hope I never need it.
What I like about it is that I put it on before I get in the car and then put the helmet on after I'm in the car and all belted in. So space really isn't an issue at all. The side impact aspect is nice given how many cars we have had hit trees going sideways.
dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Post by dsldubn »

I also agree that the side impact protection is more valuable. It seems like the majority of impacts are side impacts, or deflected off from trees.

I can't believe the price on some of these things. there has to be more used stuff out there. Between needing one of these, a new helmet for one, and all the other safety equipment needed for a caged car, this sure is not cheap racing anymore.

Let's keep this thread going...load it up with the deals. A head/neck restraint is out of my budget for now, so sharing any other rental info is beneficial too.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

The place I bought mine does rentals. www.safedrives.com. I believe it $100 for a week. It is rent to own, when your rental fees add up to the purchase of one, you can own it. Lets you try different style to see which is comfy. One time fee up front for the helmet mount hardware if you need it.
Sachilles
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

KevinGale wrote:
sachilles wrote:I suspect it will be easier to put on with the additional space I have compared to you two. I like that it addresses side impacts. Hope I never need it.
What I like about it is that I put it on before I get in the car and then put the helmet on after I'm in the car and all belted in. So space really isn't an issue at all. The side impact aspect is nice given how many cars we have had hit trees going sideways.
Without having used it yet, that is one of the perceived benefits for me. I've borrowed a Hans when I did the rally sprint. Having to get out quickly for tire change and back in and belted up on a transit, it felt clumsy. It was easier to leave the hans attached to the helmet, but I'd have to slide the hans around my neck then put the helmet on, then do my belts. I had a much harder time making sure my belts were over the device correctly. Combined with a cramped cockpit of VW shared with the driver, I wasn't overly comfortable. Of course once it was on and we were driving, i didn't notice it. Too worried with all the other stuff going on.

So it's easy to connect the tethers to the helmet, with the helmet on?
Sachilles
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

So it's easy to connect the tethers to the helmet, with the helmet on?

Ummmm.... :cry: It takes some practice. I presume it will be easier for you having more arm swing room. At least the D rings for your helmet are $50 less than the tiny little lugs for your helemt needed for a Hans. :o ( Best quote goes to John Reed: " a Hans is $100 of carbon fiber + $500 of liability insurance.)

Brian Dennis showed me a flyer for some new Hans style restraint that had the same idea of the extra straps for side impact the Hybrid has. Looked interesting.

Speaking of those straps-pull them tight-use all the adjustment-both mine + Kevins had the initial settings with more slack than needed. After you are used to it, you'll want them giving you very little extra movement. With the primary (forward) ones tight, I can lean my helmet forward + get a comfy nap if theres a hold up + you dont want to climb out. 8-)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

It's the "necksgen". Held it, felt it, liked it. I currently have and use a 1st generation Hans.
http://www.necksgen.com/
Brian