Insuring a hill climb car for the street

Challenger392
AntiSpam: No

Re: Insuring a hill climb car for the street

Post by Challenger392 »

honda#72 wrote:
Chief Geek wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations for make/model/specification of trailer that would be "appropriate" for using my Mazda2 to tow a Miata? The power to weight ratio (and brake-to-weight ratio) of Jamie's minivan + M3 can't be much different than a Mazda2 + Miata. (The 2 is slightly more powerful than the Miata, after all.)
You need to remember that I installed a auxillary trans cooler and his is probably the only Honda Odyssey with trailer brakes. He is around 1300 lbs over the rating, and although we wished him luck no one from Honda thought he would even make it out to Pikes Peak let alone back, mostly due to the trans. Pre trailer brakes he was smoking his front pads and rotors very quickly, retail on only the front brake parts $450. Towing a load that is near or close to the tow vehicle may not be considered appropriate, but it is do-able. I personally would drive the car to events until you are commited enough and in the position to get a tow rig and set-up you'll be happy with for a while. I drove the car to events for 4 or 5 years and it sucked and was a pain at times but worth it in the long run, and glad i didnt try to tow with my ancient S10 and a cheap falling apart trailer, those first few years, becuase I never had a problem driving the car home, chances are all the failures I had with that old s10 likely would have happened towing, and it's easier to get a tow for one car, than a car, truck and trailer.
I second that opinion, I will be towing my car (2400 pounds or so plus trailer) with a 2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd. Its tow rating is 3500lb so I'm pushing its limits as it is. I've up graded the springs and shock to handle the weight. After driving my truck empty and with the trailer on it, and then driving my brothers Mazda 2 I can't imagine it being very easy to tow anything with it. I'm sure that everyone here would be willing to help you should towing be the direction you decide to chose. But driving the car to the hills will probably save you a lot of frustration, and wear and tear on your Mazda 2.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Life can be shortened with the wrong tow vehicle.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Life can be shortened with the wrong tow vehicle.
VERY Good point Steve. It should also be noted that if you think peolpe drive like morons before you start towing large loads, just wait till you start towing, people in front of you seam to become even less aware of physics and inertia laws.
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
Mopar 151w2

A subjech for the Oak Lean-to "Safety Meeting"

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Most of the veterans in this series have several harrowing stories about trailering/towing, and most of them are hilarious now that we've lived through them. :oops: :? :o
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

A bit of advice: If you can't come up with a GOOD tow rig before Ascutney, go for the least dodgy insurance you can - which may mean ;) "selling" the Miata and "borrowing" it back, so you'd be insured as if you borrowed a car (or a tow rig). I'd a lot rather mess with the laws of man than the laws of physics, myself... 8-)
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Thanks everyone.

I totally agree that pulling a Miata with a Mazda 2 is "sketchy" at best. I was being sarcastic.

I've gotten my insurance sorted so I'll be driving to/from events in 2013. Rich (Dad) & I live within an hour of both Okemo and Ascutney so if either of us "runs out of talent" we have a 67% chance that it will be at a local event.

Because I can't get "13B Miata" out of my head, a trailer may become a necessity some day. Even if that day is 4 or 5 years from now, Rich's '12 Tacoma (4 door, 4wd, big engine, 4w disks, etc.) would still be well qualified to be a tow vehicle.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Good job. Now you can bide your time 'til the day somebody has to sell a Trailex for rent money.