Best venue for a 1st time Newby Hillclimber?

skimobile

Best venue for a 1st time Newby Hillclimber?

Post by skimobile »

My car should be finished in May and I'm interested in getting my feet wet in hillclimbing this year.
I have course worked events in the past such as Mt. Washington & STPR but never participated (DROVE) in a hillclimb.
I have some HPDE track experience but no racing experience.
I'm realistic in my goals, just out to have fun and gain experience, all while hopefully not putting the freshly rebuilt car into a ditch or tree.
Car = 2003 WRX formerly maintained by Alex / Bill @ DSG.
I am wondering what event would be most geared to a rank beginner looking to learn and develop.
I guessing OKEMO but I'd like some expert opinions.
Thanks!
KevinGale

Re: Best venue for a 1st time Newby Hillclimber?

Post by KevinGale »

I've crashed at every hill at one time or another in the past, does that make me an expert? :lol:

Okemo isn't bad. The course isn't hard to learn and it's fairly wide. But honestly I'm not really sure if it is any friendlier to a 1st timer than any of the other courses. I think technically it might be easier but it's also a fast course the faster you are going the faster things can go wrong and the harder you crash. However I'd still recommend Okemo just because it is low stress for a first timer due to the layout. Basically everything happens in one big parking lot. If you have having some problem with your car you can look over and see how many cars in your group are still in line. You can see when the FAM run is leaving and when a run group is coming down off the hill. It's just easy to figure out what is going on.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Each is different in its own ways and each has features that a newbee would find appealing over the others and each has features that have caught even the "experts". I dont think we have one that should be avoided in the beginning - and that is chiefly because of the people at each. The participants (organizers, volunteers, competitors) friendliness, inclusiveness, support and the events welcoming atmosphere make each event great fun no matter your experience level.

One key here is the fact that while we can be competitive, we encourage everyone to drive within their limits and stay safe so the only pressure to go faster will be from you.
The older I get the better I was.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Another advantage of Okemo-we run it back to back. When you come back for the 2nd time, you already have the hill on your mind. Even those of us that have run it many times are almost always faster at Okemo 2. The more laps the better.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

You have complete control over your gas pedal foot, therefore, you can control how fast you are going up the hill.

Treat EVERY run as a spirited Sunday drive up the hill, have fun, and don't push it. With that said, every hill is good for a beginner.

If you want to know which hill is the easiest to go really fast without having to memorize a lot of corners? That would be Okemo. Of course, with high-speed comes more opportunities for high-speed "loose" moments.

Drive within your limits, don't try to get 1st place, have fun.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's very much appreciated.
I'll do my research and plan on attending Okemo 1 and or 2 this year. I'm also considering Ascutney, since those two hills are closest drive from RI.
I'll check into which allow overnight camping, etc, and sign up in May, once the car is back in my hands.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Check the info pages of each event for details of accommodations... Basically Ascutney, Burke and Philo have actual campgrounds and facilities. Okemo permits us to stay in the parking lot overnight, but there are no facilities other than some portapotties, and no open fires are permitted. If you are self contained, as in an RV or similar, you are all set - otherwise its probably a good idea to book a room either at the mountain or in Ludlow.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Okemo is pretty friendly for rookies / "freshmen", but it's rough as a cob on "sophmores" - when you start to get fast, it has some interesting and subtle tricks to play, and they are in different places depending on your car, weather, phase of the moon.... Not to mention that most gravel and crushed stone around Ludlow are tailings from the talc mine.
Oddly enough,Okemo seems to be hard on Soobies - the straights are long, so any leanout or detonation will toast a piston if the boost is turned up (DSG is hip to this)
and the start line likes the taste of Soobie rear half-shafts.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Wouldn't be a bad idea to go to Ascutney, even just as a worker. Our hillclimbs are run differently than Mt Washington so it would give you a good idea what to expect when you do drive.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Sounds good! As soon as I have the car firmly back in my hands (just went to the body shop), I'll start making plans for the season. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks!