Last-minute availability at Ascutney campground?

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Last-minute availability at Ascutney campground?

Post by drummingpariah »

I wanted to get my feet wet with hillclimbs by volunteering at Ascutney this weekend, but wasn't sure if I'd be needed at work or if I'd be able to drive out, and it looks like I have the weekend off. However, camping reservations at Ascutney can only be placed 2 weeks out, and I have no idea what kind of walk-in availability there is in the area. I'm guessing I'm not the first person to fail to plan, so I'm hoping someone can offer advice on what alternatives are available. I wouldn't be able to make it out 'till tomorrow morning, but would really prefer to stay through Sunday rather than having to drive there and back in the same day.

My needs aren't vast, just a tent campsite for 2 people (my girlfriend and myself), somewhere to park the car, and if I'm lucky, somewhere to charge the camera (I'd love to be able to cover the event on my website, if everything works out). Thanks in advance for any advice you folks can offer.
sciroccohp

Re: Last-minute availability at Ascutney campground?

Post by sciroccohp »

they usually don't even use the other side of the campground and I fail to plan a lot. there is always some sites available. not sure about charging the camera though.
drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Post by drummingpariah »

Thanks for the quick reply, that puts me at ease. It looks like I'm only an hour and a half away, so if I need to I could just make a one-day trip. If I were just heading up for one day, which would be the one where I'd be the most needed (or get the best shots, if I get permission to hang a camera around my neck)?
sciroccohp

Post by sciroccohp »

doesn't matter, I think more cars run saturday as they break and don't run sunday plus sunday afternoon tends to thin out due to breakages or people going home early. that said sunday afternoon tends to require a bunch of work to break down and clean up.