thinking about driving in Okemo 1

spatty
AntiSpam: No

thinking about driving in Okemo 1

Post by spatty »

I really want to get into some doing some driving events (such as auto-x and hill climb). I really want to compete in Okemo 1 this year, but I've never attended a hillclimb event. I have worked an auto-x event in the past, and driven in endurance racing at FSAE competition in Michigan. I have an 02 wrx, and a motorcycle helmet. Is it realistic/ a good idea for me to register for Okemo 1, or would you suggest working the event before driving it? Also is there anything major I would need to do prior to registering or driving it? I've skimmed the tech plans and believe I have everything needed for non breakout times. Thanks for your advice, I look forward to meeting you guys soon!

Ben
sachilles

Re: thinking about driving in Okemo 1

Post by sachilles »

Jump right in.
Your helmet needs an SA2005 or Sa2010 sticker, it is usually inside, maybe hidden by padding. M2005 or m2010 is not legal to use.
You need a ABC fire extinguisher mounted on an all metal bracket. With Subies you can mount them to a piece of flat bar stock, and bolt that bar down using the two front bolts of the passenger seat.
There is still time to borrow/buy the correct helmet if you don't have one now.

Get registered, you car would be in sp3 or u3, dependant on whether you've modified it or not. Don't worry too much about that, as we can help you figure that out at the event.

Welcome aboard, ask any questions you have, we'll be glad to help.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I usually have an extra helmet with me if you need to borrow one
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
spatty
AntiSpam: No

Post by spatty »

sweet, this is exciting! I actually went and checked out the road today! My helmet doesn't actually indicate either one of those certifications, because it is a "shark" which is a european company (I think), rather it indicates "ECE22-05", so if I could borrow someones helmet, that'd be great! I'll have to go out, and buy a fire extinguisher soon as well! anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Read through all the rules, if you have questions just ask.

Common newbie mistakes:
Helmet isn't legal.
BC only fire ext instead of an Abc.
Non metal bracket used on fire ext.
Bracket for fire ext isn't bolted to the car
Battery not secure
Loose wheel bearing or ball joint
Bare metal on doors, you need something on them so the sharp edges don't get you.
Improper clothing
Non working horn
Fail to put a trash bag in your car
Improper harness mounting.
Leaky fluids
Loose stuff in the car, if it isn't bolted down, take it out.

Make sure you are there Friday for novice orientation.

If you aren't confident about the condition of your car, find another hillclimber close to you to have a quick look at it.

Make sure if you visit the hill to be on your best behavior.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66