A few questions from a newcomer...

Rob R
AntiSpam: No

A few questions from a newcomer...

Post by Rob R »

Hello all.

I was considering trying a hillclimb this summer with my rallycross car, And I have a few questions.

I would by trying to keep under the breakout, What kind of (stock) cars usually 'breakout' for comparison?
I have little interior... I read the rules and saw that sharp edges are frowned upon. My door is bare, but none of the edges are sharp, and I haven't had any issues with it at rallycross events. Is this ok, or will I need a covering anyway?

Are any of you from the South-NY area?
sachilles

Re: A few questions from a newcomer...

Post by sachilles »

Cars that can break out with an experienced driver:
Wrx with non Oem tires
4 cylinder turbo anything with decent tires
V8 anything
Volvo 240 with turbo with dot slicks driven by Charlie G, look at 2009 results. http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_results.html
Breakout times are listed in the tech regulations.

http://www.hillclimb.org/rules_regs/hil ... 13tech.pdf

I don't think a non turbo Volvo would have to worry.

You'll have to cover the door with something, even if its just cardboard.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The drivers side door panel must have all exposed edges covered that an arm or leg could reach. This includes the edges of any stamped or cut sheetmetal, glass or plastics whether they appear "sharp" or not. If you were to carry a passenger during a fam run (not encouraged among rookies) the same would apply to the passenger side door.

The material required is not specified. It must be at least semi rigid (not something like a garbage bag or the original moisture barrier). At tech we have seen and approved use of cardboard and rubber floor mats that were used in a pinch.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I'd also like to point out that the break out time is basically the calculated average of course times over an extended period of time. At any given event, about half the entrants won't beat the time, despite their best effort to do so.

Many folks self preservation instinct won't allow them to go past the breakout during their first visit to the hill.
Sachilles
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

sachilles wrote:I'd also like to point out that the break out time is basically the calculated average of course times over an extended period of time. At any given event, about half the entrants won't beat the time, despite their best effort to do so.

Many folks self preservation instinct won't allow them to go past the breakout during their first visit to the hill.
And also-don't let that time be the benchmark you are shooting for. Where a WRX might be able to hit the time with the AC running-one arm on windowsill-sight seeing- not getting anywhere near the limits of adhesion -or brakes-or power, A stock Volvo would have to be driven way over its limits to get the same time.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

sdwarf36 wrote:And also-don't let that time be the benchmark you are shooting for. Where a WRX might be able to hit the time with the AC running-one arm on windowsill-sight seeing- not getting anywhere near the limits of adhesion -or brakes-or power, A stock Volvo would have to be driven way over its limits to get the same time.
Amen to that. With momentum cars like mine, the corners have to be pushed hard to maintain some transitions, so hitting the break out times may require much more aggression in some technical sections, whereas someone with much more power can make up a ton of time in the straights or with faster acceleration out of the corners...so you have to be careful using the break out or other cars as a benchmark.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I was asking about the breakout to make sure I don't hit it and waste the 5 hr trip up. I read and intend this to be a 'spirited drive' for me, Not pushing overly hard... I know trees aren't too soft :D

I saw the listed BO-times, but not knowing the road means they don't mean a thing to me, this is where the comparison helps.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

If you look at the results from 09, you'll see Charlie G in his 240. It was turbo'd, and ran dot slicks.
He'd be faster than break out in most instances.

Jim Bauman who is also an experienced climber brought his nearly stock 240 wagon prepared for 24 hours of lemons to Mt philo. He ran a 1:24 there and break out is 1:20. Conditions were great that day(dry). That is our shortest climb and tends to treat lower horsepower cars a little better. It was called the volvo cow. Car was gutted, only glass was the windshield. It proved to be very successful at Lemons at several events.
I would not worry about breaking out in a stock motored 240, even if gutted/lightened.
Add a turbo, or swap in a V8, then you could be break out risk.
Sachilles
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Sounds like I'll be fine. Thanks!