Wachusett mtn in Princton Ma?

skimobile

Re: Wachusett mtn in Princton Ma?

Post by skimobile »

I used to ski-race @ Wachusett on a weekly basis in their night league racing series.
I believe holding a hillclimb there could possibly open up the series to those in the CT, Worcester, Boston, area.
That was the draw at this centralized location for Winter competitions. It might get some new hillclimbers involved that might not otherwise make the trip up to Burke, Mt. Philo, etc.
The Crowley family from Polar beverages (David is primary Op., sister Caroline, etc) own/operate the ski area but the auto road is part of the state park. The road should be in good shape, as it was previously closed for several seasons for repairs. If Wachusett is contacted, they may be receptive to renting out some of their on-site lodging, cafateria service, etc. We have held Summertime Subaru events there in the past (Wicked Big Meet), etc, with centralized location again being the main draw. It would be nice if the start could begin from Washusett Ski Area parking lot but that won't happen since exiting the parking lot and traveling up the hill to the start of Wachusett Mt. Road state park area/entrance is public road.
Good luck with your inquiries.
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Post by Chief Geek »

3rdgendennis wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yEibSyh0vg

Interesting angle, but this gives you an idea of the road (skip to ~40 sec)
Next time I drive by without a trailer I will definitely take a ride up the road. Never knew there was one up Wachusett.
The dude's going the wrong way.
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Stopped to drive up Wachusett on my way home today. The entire road is brand new smooth pavement like the picture above. Plenty of parking at the summit. We could easily have a 1.5+ mile course and use the return road like Philo to make turnarounds quicker. They were pretty busy today (the summit lot was full), so I asked one of the employees if that was typical. They said fall is their busy season, spring is much slower for hikers, etc.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Post by Chief Geek »

Doesn't NEHA have a policy of banning roads that have been resurfaced more recently than 1974?

Looks awesome. I've always wanted to wind the spring perches all the way up.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)