NEHA Laptop

KevinGale

NEHA Laptop

Post by KevinGale »

At Philo the NEHA laptop died. More specifically the EZ-Up leaked on it and and it crashed. We ran the timing software on my work laptop the rest of the event with an umbrella over it. After drying it out I discovered some important keys on the keyboard no longer work. In theory we could replace the keyboard but it's an old laptop and it probably doesn't have enough life in it to make this worth while. I can replace it with something new for $300 or maybe a bit less. So about $100 per NEHA club if we split the bill between the clubs evenly.

I am wondering if someone out there in NEHA land has an old laptop they want to donate to the cause. It shouldn't be a 17" because that's just too big to lug around. It doesn't need to be anything very powerful. It needs to be capable of running Windows 7 or higher. It needs to have a working USB port and have a display that is bright enough to see in daylight (while in the shade). I mention the last part because I have seen some laptops that can only be used indoors. Their screens just are not bright enough to read outside on a sunny day even if the laptop itself is in the shade.
jkale

Re: NEHA Laptop

Post by jkale »

My dad might have an old Lenovo.. I'll ask him about it..
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Post by Chief Geek »

I've got an old HP, but it needs a hard drive. Your welcome to it if someone's got a drive laying around.

I've also got a spare Raspberry Pi, if that helps. ;-)
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Ryed

Post by Ryed »

There's a 14" Chromebook on Woot for $210, but they won't last long as it's a "woot-off" day...
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Chief Geek wrote:I've got an old HP, but it needs a hard drive. Your welcome to it if someone's got a drive laying around.

I've also got a spare Raspberry Pi, if that helps. ;-)

I have a few spare drives including a terabyte one. So that may work. Can you bring it to the winter meeting? How old is "old"? What processor?
Last edited by KevinGale on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Ryed wrote:There's a 14" Chromebook on Woot for $210, but they won't last long as it's a "woot-off" day...
A Chromebook won't help unless it can be changed over to run Windows. The timing software is Windows based.
Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

I have a couple of old laptops that run windows fine. A pretty nice big(ish) HP, and a very small and old (but well cared for) Dell. So I'm here as a backup.

Jamie
--
Jamie Melhuish
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I have a stack of x61s thinkpads (dual core, most of these have 4GB of ram, but will take 16GB if you need them to). I'm more than happy to donate one (or two, I like redundancy) to NEHA. The screens on these are relatively small, but I've used them on sunny days outdoors plenty of times. I'll bring a couple to the banquet if you think they'll be of assistance.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

drummingpariah wrote:I have a stack of x61s thinkpads (dual core, most of these have 4GB of ram, but will take 16GB if you need them to). I'm more than happy to donate one (or two, I like redundancy) to NEHA. The screens on these are relatively small, but I've used them on sunny days outdoors plenty of times. I'll bring a couple to the banquet if you think they'll be of assistance.
The memory is no problem but those just have a TrackPoint instead of a touch pad right? That might be a problem since we often have new people running the finish computer and I know plenty of people who are allergic to the TrackPoint. :lol:
Last edited by KevinGale on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Kiwi wrote:I have a couple of old laptops that run windows fine. A pretty nice big(ish) HP, and a very small and old (but well cared for) Dell. So I'm here as a backup.

Jamie
Thanks. Big(i)sh isn't a big problem but all the 17" laptops I have fall into the huge category. Great for a desktop replacement but not nice to have to lug around.