NEHA Dash Plaque History

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: NEHA Dash Plaque History

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

SCCNH designed the dash plaque in MS-Word, but I cleaned it up and used a high-res image of the Dent Sport Garage (DSG) logo to present the final product.

Ruth and Sharon

Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

(Image of George was fun to do.... that car never raced. I took a photo of the car in the campground, took a separate photo of George, and then put all of that over a car that was actually racing at Ascutney... and threw on a car number for good measure)

The printing of the Burke #1 plaque was a disaster. It came out unrecognizable due to improper printing... it was too dark to see anything. The local printing place was going through staffing (skill) changes which caused some bad printing in 2013... Burke #1 was the worst. I thought I had some of the plaques reprinted, but as of 2023 (ten years later), I don't recall what we did. I will have to check my collection... perhaps I just have one reprinted plaque.

(note the expiration date on the plate)

2013 Awards

(first Daewoo Season Challenge?)

The hidden squirrel is in reference to 2013 Philo.... it was an interesting weekend.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Busy year for dash plaques....

I made a "NEHA Series" logo and used it throughout the season.

These are rare.... I think there were only 5 or 10 of them.

Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Another busy year....

SCCNH wanted a white background (they came up with the original design), but I still snuck in 5 blue background plaques.... do you have one of the rare plaques?

The idea for the Nelson Shepard Memorial Hillclimb came to me as a bit of an epiphany.... I quickly sketched it on a Post-it note where the final result had little change from the original concept. That doesn't happen.... ever.

(this version was not printed)

(this version was not printed)

This was my first attempt at the artsy-fartsy tools in Photoshop. I tried to make a Banksy (http://banksy.co.uk/) type graffiti image. Took many hours... happy with the results.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Welcome to 2016.... they year of vintage race posters, concert posters, and concert tickets. Something different to keep things interesting, but they take an astronomical amount of time to design them.

Spring Ascutney. 1 variation. 100 units.

Fall Ascutney. Three variations. v1 (40 units), v2 (40 units), and v3 (30 units)

Burke #1

1 variation. 100 units.

The ticket price is the year the KSCC was founded....

Burke #2

1 variation. 100 units.

Okemo #1

1 variation. 100 units.

Funny part about this plaque.... it originally went to the printers looking like this. No one who saw the plaque before submission noticed the error. Thanks to Chris "Mutt" Rielly for modeling.

Okemo #2

1 variation. 100 units.

Philo

70 plaques... official plaque

10 of green, black, and pink plaques... a bit more rare. How do you get on the special list to get a copy of these rare (collect them all!) plaques. (bribes accepted)

Black plaque is what will be on the t-shirt....
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I understand that we have a number of artists in our Hillclimb community..... Looking forward to what others come up with in the future. Doesn't have to be a one person show. Would love to see other ideas!
Butch#178

Post by Butch#178 »

Steve thanks for doing it for this many years and it was very nice reading and seeing all the old dash plaques

Thanks again Butch King ##178
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I found the original files in my e-mail for Burke, Okemo 1/2, and Ascutney 2 for 2011; I updated the post. Still looking for the original file for Philo 2011.

I will also need to figure out how to take really good photos of the old plaques. Since a lot of the older plaques were effectively mirrors, it will be tough.

Good project for the winter.

:mrgreen:
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

V1 40, v2 40, and v3 20 = 100 plaques total.

Thanks to Emmanuel Cecchet and Margaret Sharron of "Frog Racing" for taking the time to wash their cars, position them as I requested, and take a number of pictures of them to make the Photoshop piece soooo much easier. That is Don Taylor's tow truck in the background of version 2.

This one was pretty cool. The background came from the Mad Max (2015) video game via a screen capture, I used some effects to colorize and add texture. Next was the "Okemo" text that required a lot of learning. Removing, burning, rust, shadows, etc. The Okemo text took the longest. David Dennis' Dart was easy (remove the background and add motion blur). I like how it came out. David has an 8" version of this plaque thanks to Scott at Engraving, Awards & Gifts. Great group!

Version 1: 20 units. This was actually a tough one as I had to use Adobe Illustrator for the "Ascutney" text to make it 3D and then bring it all back into Photoshop for the finishing touches.

Version 2: 80 units. Used club colors in the the background.

Philo 2017 was sponsored by our very own Marcel Donaj (photographer/artist). He asked for the dash plaque to include an in-car photo that he took during a FAM run at Okemo 2017 where he was a passenger. (50 units)

And... since we were watching The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other night, this just made sense. (50 units)

Last edited by Rabbit Farmer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Bill Rutan unexpectedly passed away shortly before the Ascutney hillclimb. We thought it would be a great idea to honor his memory by having the "Bill Rutan Memorial Hillclimb at Mt. Ascutney" with a picture of Bill and one of his cars (1980 VW Scirocco 1.8T). One thing I wish I did add, based on a comment from Chris "Mutt" Reilly at Ascutney, is "Mad Scientist".

Two versions; 50 units of each.

My favorite plaque of the year so far... mainly because I didn't have to do all the work. Sam Harrington came up with the design to commemorate 50 years at Okemo (Smokey chaired the first 7 events). A similar design was used on the t-shirts. I just add the KSCC logo (following the colors that Sam came up with for the mountains) and the text at the bottom. Love the design! Simple, clean, and to the point. 100 units

Nod to the Netflix series Breaking Bad. Date detail right down to the sticker on the license plate. A plate I have been using since Philo 2013. 100 units.

Wicked Performance Group: Jay and Tom. Thanks to Sam Harrington for the photos taken at Burke 1.
50 of each.

Newcomer to our events (Eric Amato / Dune Buggy) got the honor of the Ascutney plaque because I think his 14-16" of suspension travel is going to do quite well between check 7 and finish.
2 version; 50 of each.

The Philo 2018 dash plaque includes a photo of the dash plaque for the first annual hillclimb at Philo in 1975. The event was sponsored by Lake Champlain Motors (LCM). The photo is also from that event. 50 units.

In memory of Michael (Mike) Sureau, NEHA #250, Robot Racing. 50 units.

One example of the year-end plaques.

You should find all the year-end plaques HERE by year. All of these are the large versions that were used for printing. Feel free to grab yours and use it as you see fit. Enjoy!