Rally rules discussion

Dave Burden

Re: Rally rules discussion

Post by Dave Burden »

When we started the Rally classes we discussed the 2wd/4wd vs non-turbo/turbo classes. There were arguments on both sides, but with only a handful of entrants over the years, it really hasn't mattered much. We may have to switch to 2wd/4wd to make it consistent.

Good catch on the SCCA log book, but if tech (Walter) determines any SCCA log booked car is not 'valid' then it can't run in the rally class. I'll see what he thinks.

As for the HANS device, I believe they are required by the rallying sanctioning bodies so would be required to run in the Rally class at hillclimbs.

Dave
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Thanks Dave.

I figure the HANS (or other restraint) would/should be required, just wanted to clarify. As far as the SCCA logbook situation, my guess would be that it would be teched as a grandfathered car at a Rally would be, I just wondered what others thought.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The rally class cars that come to the NEHA events are tech'd the same as at any RA event. We do allow competitors to remove some self-rescue gear like first aid kits, tow ropes, spare tires, jacks tools and parts, and so on, as we have resources in place to make carrying those thing unnecessary. Safety equipment requirements including suits, helmets, head and neck restraints, seats, harnesses, and fire extinguishers are the same as for RA events. The fact that Don and I are (SFI) certified RA tech inspectors that regularly tech at RA events makes this possible.

A rally car carrying an SCCA logbook for rally that would be accepted at an RA event will be accepted at a NEHA event in the rally classes.

Opinion. The NEHA rally classes at hillclimbs shouldnt really matter much. The scoring results are passed to RA (I assume to Gibby up to now) and I would guess these result in regional points awarded to the driver and codriver for a C1 event in the vehicles regular RA rally class.
The older I get the better I was.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Thanks Walter.
walterclark wrote:Opinion. The NEHA rally classes at hillclimbs shouldnt really matter much. The scoring results are passed to RA (I assume to Gibby up to now) and I would guess these result in regional points awarded to the driver and codriver for a C1 event in the vehicles regular RA rally class.
This is the reason I'm asking: http://www.newenglandforestrally.com/ra ... ouncement/

The hillclimb series is its own points series this year sponsored by New England Performance Rally. Winners in each class for the season win an entry into the 2013 New England Forest Rally.

To avoid possible conflict later, I thought it would be good to have a more firm set of rules in place for the Rally class before the season started.
Dennis Motorsports
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

OK, I understand now. The simple 2WD/AWD classes in the NEHA rally class rules would favor turbo cars a fair amount in both classes. I think it would be up to SCCNH, who put the original classes together and the principles of New England Performance Rally that signed onto them to ensure the current classes is how they want to proceed.

There may well be an ace up the sleeve of less powerful cars though. Consistency. Based on points awarded you can finish 2nd in 6 events and in the end beat someone who attended and won 4 (the minimum number one must run to qualify).
The older I get the better I was.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

NEHA was specifically told that we wouldn't have to make any changes related to that announcment. RA is somehow handling the scoring but it's outside of NEHA. However I have no problem using the correct class for rally cars as long as those classes don't conflict with NEHA classes.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

I spoke to Kathy Moody, the contact person for the NEPR program for this year, and she was under the impression that there was a current set of rules for the Rally classes in place. SCCNH has their rules, and I believe Don and Walter have been going off of those rules at the other events.
My intention in this thread is to firm up that set of rules, and adapt it to cover all the hillclimbs. Then I was hoping to have the three clubs approve them. It may not be 100% necessary, but I'm planning to run in this class this year, and to avoid later confusion, I'd like to have the rules more clear and available.

Edit: Basically, I'm trying to step up and do what Walter started this thread for a year ago
Dennis Motorsports