Rally rules discussion

walterclark

Rally rules discussion

Post by walterclark »

There seems to be no topic dedicated to this sunbect and it pops up in a number of other subforums so I thought I would start a thread dedicated to it.

This is a pointer to the existing SCCNH rally class rules:

http://www.sccnh.org/SCCNH%20Rally%20Ca ... 0Rules.pdf

And this to the Rally America rules page:

http://www.rally-america.com/rules.php

The first thing I see is a need for the SCCNH document to be updated and expanded to cover all of the NEHA events, not just Ascutney. How would this happen exactly?...e.g. who approves it. I assume it would be "approved" and published on the hillclimb.org site under a NEHA letterhead. Any volunteers to write it?

Updates to our insormation should include changing the technical requirements to reflect (refer to) RA rally class, safety and technical rules.

I also believe the document should have more operational information for competitors, similar to "Supplemental Regulations" published by each rally organizer of performance rallies in the US, only simplified a lot since the logistics here is much less complex. I see no reason that one document cant cover all our hillclimbs for rally competitors. There are examples of "supps" at NEFR, TON and STPR web sites. The TON supps are probably a good model: http://newenglandforestrally.com/region ... limentals/. I dont see a downloadable supps template at the RA site but I would bet Paul or JB can supply one in an editable format like .doc.

The last point I would like to suggest is that we permit FIA regulation tarmac tires in addition to DOT tires.
The older I get the better I was.
Dave Burden

Re: Rally rules discussion

Post by Dave Burden »

A few issues came up at the TON Rally this past weekend with regards to the hillclimbs. The biggest concern was that we were allowing the teams to write their own pace notes, which is not done in RA. It looked like we would have to get someone (like John Buffum) to pace note the hills before they could be run. After chatting with Paul G, the short answer is that the hillclimbs are not RA sanctioned events, but simply events recognized by RA. When Paul presented the idea of adding the hilllcimbs to the RA schedule, it was agreed the events would continue to be run as they have in the past with no real changes to format.

This doesn't mean we can't make changes as needed to help the rally teams.

Dave
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I also may be able to make changes to create special rally result sheets in the future. For now they will just have to compute the rally points form the NEHA Saturday and Sunday results.
Dave Burden

Post by Dave Burden »

All Paul G needs is for us to email him the rally teams, their RA classes and total times after the event. He will take care of the points from the RA side. For the hillclimb we'll have two rally classes - turbo and non-turbo (or is it 2wd/4wd?)

Dave
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Something is getting confusing. The RA rulebook defines the reqional championship as follows: Production, Production GT, Super Production, Open, Open Light, Group 2 and Group 5 classes will be included in the Regional Championship. These are the RA vehicle classes. I do not know how they would assign points to drivers in the above championship if we send Paul a list of teams with turbo.non-turbo or 2/AWD.

I learned from Sara G on Special Stage that apparently some of the usual technical requirements for the cars have been waived in a conversation between Don T and Mike Hurst. Not written anywhere except by Sarah on a thread on that forum.

I wrote a few notes on that forum about how I think this is supposed to work but as I am not in any position of authority, it is just my best understanding.

The need for supps keeps getting stronger. Someone needs to document all this. Is no one listening????
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I'm With Dave on this. Gibby said there was gonna be no hassle to the clubs besides the extra tech + Kevin having to add up times + email them to him. RA can classify-score-place anyway they see fit.
Walt, as far as I'm concerned, you ARE the last word when it comes to the rally class. You are the only one that knows all the rules (and boy-it sure seems they got plenty of them!) you are doing the tech-and are a stickler for correct detail. If you fell like you want to print up something to give to RA folks-its certianly fine by me. If you want to say screw it-just run'em-i'm taking a nap--I'm fine with that too. ;) I'd even vote yes if you wanted to make them paint pink bunnies on their back windows. :shock:
I see this as (hopefully) a couple of extra entries and having to let the ambulance know crew when there is 2 in a car rather than 1 person. Its up to RA to sort out the details-we just let them run.
Now knowing you, if we don't find a project for you pretty quick, You'll be making up a template to make sure everyones stickers are the right size+ in the right place! :lol:
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I think I have enough irons in the NEHA fire at this point. If non one else sees the problems and wants to do something about it then I will drop it.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Good on ya Walter! Relax-your right-you got PLENTY on your plate. Gibby knows where to find us should questions come up.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Seeing as the Rally class in the Hillclimb series will be its own points championship this year (http://www.newenglandforestrally.com/ra ... ouncement/), I think it would be good to really clarify the rules we are using.

Are the SCCNH's rules the rules that are used for all the hillclimbs? They seem like they cover most things, but i see a few issues:

SCCNH's rules refer to a NA class and a Turbo class. The NEFR press release says there will be a 2WD and a 4WD class. Should we modify our rules to match (I guess this would only be a difference in the way Kevin calculates the times) Edit: It looks like Kevin already has been scoring this way

SCCNH's rules refer to a "bogey time" (3min, 50 sec). I'm assuming this was intended for Ascutney, so we should probably estimate a "bogey time" at each hill. (a 3:50 at Ascutney is not nearly as big of a penalty as a 3:50 at Philo).

Do cars running in the Rally class require HANS devices?

If a car were to show up with an SCCA logbook, what "rally rulebook" would be used for it? SCCA does not have a current Rally Program, so a car that may have been legal for the SCCA rally may not be legal for any current rally rules.

Once we settle on a set of rules, should each club have a vote at their next meeting to accept them?

I'm sure I didn't catch everything, so what input does anyone else have?
Last edited by 3rdgendennis on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

Break-out times:
Ascutney 3:20 (short course), 4:20 (long course)
Bolton 1:32
Burke 2:30
Okemo 2:43
Philo 1:20

This suggests that the "bogey time" for Ascutney is the breakout+ 30 sec. Without going crazy with formulas to find percenages, etc. I think breakout + 30 sec. would be a good "bogey time" for each hill
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports