Water & Methanol :== Nitrous ?

Dave Burden

Water & Methanol :== Nitrous ?

Post by Dave Burden »

Does a car with water & methanol injection (50/50 mix) require an on-board fire system? The rule simply states that any car with nitrous needs one. It appears the water/methanol does the same sort of thing.

Dave
jkale

Re: Water & Methanol :== Nitrous ?

Post by jkale »

It shouldn't. Water/meth is essentially windshield washer fluid. Unless it is almost 100% methanol, it is not very flammable. A lot of the "good" windshield washer fluid out there is almost 50/50 water/meth. When I ran water/meth, I mixed it 50/50...
-Joey Kale #111
Kale's Custom LLC.
802-448-3790
STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

Post by STI NICK »

Nitrous is highly flamable and under pressure. Meth/water injection is less flamable than gas. I don't see how that would put it in the same catagory as nitrious.
Nick
Dave Burden

Post by Dave Burden »

Ok, thanks for the information. Looks like it isn't a problem.

Dave
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Reminds me of a time that my engine caught on fire in the middle of the summer on the side of the interstate. I had nothing to put it out (might explain why almost all of our cars now have fire ext in them). I ended up putting the windshield washer tubes off the strayer, jammed my shirt under the steering wheel washer sprayer lever to hold it on, turned on the ignition, returned under the hood again and used the spraying washer fluid tube as the fire ext. It worked quite well, but I did notice that the fire did like some of the fluid. Had me worried for a second.

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

When you say Nitrous are talking about nitrous oxide? That is 1/3 of the puzzle but not flammable is it?
John M
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert
MX5 Driver

Post by MX5 Driver »

Number_5 wrote:When you say Nitrous are talking about nitrous oxide? That is 1/3 of the puzzle but not flammable is it?
John M
Correct, it is a non-flammable gas, but it's an oxidizer which will provide oxygen to a fire, intensifying the burn..
Tim W.
SCCV #72
REMEMBER