SFI membership

walterclark

SFI membership

Post by walterclark »

As part of my investigation into seat standards brought on by some questions of seat selection and approvals I requested a copy of the SFI standards for race seats. As part of that the SFI sent me a proposal for NEHA to join SFI and either a member or affiliate. I would like to pass this information on to someone appropriate within NEHA such as a member of the technical committee who is willing to review the proposal and support documents sent me and then make a timely recommendation one way or the other to NEHA then get back to SFI on our behalf.

Who would that be?

Thanks,
Walter

On a related note. From the text of what I received it appears that because all SFI material (standards included) are copyrighted, we (and any other group like us writing rules) cannot legally use or refer to SFI standards in our rule requirements unless an SFI member or affiliate.
The older I get the better I was.
Mopar 151

Re: SFI membership

Post by Mopar 151 »

Could be me.....
John and Michelle Reed
KSCC Life Member
NEHA # 151
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I would love to see it from a personal interest point of view and as a respresentative of the SCCV.

Thx
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

" From the text of what I received it appears that because all SFI material (standards included) are copyrighted, we (and any other group like us writing rules) cannot legally use or refer to SFI standards in our rule requirements unless an SFI member or affiliate."

From things I've read from industry members + racers in the know on other forums, It doesn't shock me in the least just to use their name in a sentence would cost us. SFI is NOT the warm fuzzy place to make sure we are all safe--SFI is in business to keep SFI in business. Remember-the big issue with Impact belts wasn't anything to do with safety, it had to do with the fact they were'nt getting their cut. Its like the Better Business Bureau-if you pay them, they will say nice things about you and let you use their name.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

From the FWIW department:

We seem to use the acronym "SFI" only twice in our regulations...Both times in the Tech section on belts.
In the future, adding requirements for approved seats or mandating head and neck restraints would probably increase that number some.

An affiliate membership costs $200 per year.
The older I get the better I was.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Since NEHA is a non-existent org and therefore has non-existent money....Can we refer to other racing org rules for belt specs? then we don't have to use the SFI at all. We just need to keep track of the other org belt rules.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

What if we just kept quiet and did nothing? We aren't stealing anything. We are just stating that people should use products that are approved by them. Shhhhh.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

NEHA can't really join anything since it doesn't really exist as an entity legally. Each of the clubs would have to join. I'm personally not that worried about it. Yes SFI is a greedy money loving organiziation that worries mostly about how to perpetuate it's own existence but I don't think we are big enough to bother. They can't make any money off us or any good press so it's hard to see why they would bother.