Ascutney Video, anyone?

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Ascutney Video, anyone?

Post by drummingpariah »

I just reserved a campsite at Ascutney, and am completely looking forward to FINALLY making it out to see my first hillclimb event. I've tried to schedule it a few times this year, but things never fell into place until this week rolled around. I won't have my car prepped 'till spring, but I'm really excited to get to show up and help however I can.

I'm going to bring along some video gear for this, and would love to get enough footage to put together an Ascutney short. Based on what I've been able to find online, there's a bunch of in-car footage and a bunch of security-worker-corner footage, but not a lot about the event itself or any of the participants. If I can get enough interested (and interesting) people to sit down for a couple of minutes of documentary-style talking, I think I can assemble a pretty cool video. I'm still waiting for most of the video gear to come in (sometime this week) so I'm still going to be familiarizing myself with this new rig.

Otherwise, I'm happy to volunteer as a safety worker. Either way, I intend to learn a bunch and hopefully pick some brains about prepping my 240z for next year.
sachilles

Re: Ascutney Video, anyone?

Post by sachilles »

You'll probably get most of your interviews, early evening friday and saturday, by wandering around the main part of the campground.

If you want characters, you most definitely will find them.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Can't wait for this weekend, and I can't wait for next season when I'll get to participate WITH WHEELS! As long as it's daytime, you should be able to find me with a camera in hand. If any 'characters' have a particular story to tell, let me know ahead of time and I'll make a special effort to get together with you.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Many of the "regulars" have 25+ years of hillclimbing - be careful what you wish for.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:Many of the "regulars" have 25+ years of hillclimbing - be careful what you wish for.
I'm a heavy-handed editor, and don't mind dropping off some less-than-interesting scenes. I'm hoping there's some way to charge my batteries out there though. Some of my devices will take disposable batteries, but the camera and laptop will need to hit an outlet pretty regularly. Anyone have any input?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I have to charge a number of batteries at each hillclimb. I prefer to do it using fast chargers off a generator, but I often charge some like the Gopro batteries' fast charger from a spare car battery and the 12v wifi router battery from a combo of a 400w inverter and Deltran BatteryTender powered from that spare car battery.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Great idea on the video. I was just thinking earlier this week something along the same lines.... we never have video of the events. To have a video camera running around the campfire on Friday or Saturday night.... yikes!

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

walterclark wrote:I have to charge a number of batteries at each hillclimb. I prefer to do it using fast chargers off a generator, but I often charge some like the Gopro batteries' fast charger from a spare car battery and the 12v wifi router battery from a combo of a 400w inverter and Deltran BatteryTender powered from that spare car battery.

That's a great idea, I'll have to try to make time to pick up an inverter before I make it out there.
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Great idea on the video. I was just thinking earlier this week something along the same lines.... we never have video of the events. To have a video camera running around the campfire on Friday or Saturday night.... yikes!

Steve
There's a ton of cool video of the races themselves, it just doesn't look like it's been put together into a really viewer-friendly format. I may not be able to get any night shots, since I'm not planning to bring any lights along with me (the lights I'd need to be able to record would be distracting too, at the very least I'd need a pair of halogen shop lights).
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You havent seen one of Jeffs campfires...Visible from space if it's a chilly night.

The older I get the better I was.
Ryed

Post by Ryed »

drummingpariah, I was a location sound engineer in a previous life. I sold my gear many years ago, but glad to help you out with sound or general PA stuff. I'm a new hillclimber and would be glad to help get some documentary style footage. It would be invaluable to have some "behind the scenes" footage.
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown