Ascutney Video, anyone?

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: Ascutney Video, anyone?

Post by drummingpariah »

Ryed wrote:drummingpariah, I was a location sound engineer in a previous life. I sold my gear many years ago, but glad to help you out with sound or general PA stuff. I'm a new hillclimber and would be glad to help get some documentary style footage. It would be invaluable to have some "behind the scenes" footage.
This is going to be my first video shoot, but I have enough experience (lots of photography and sound recording tech through college) to make me think I'll be able to fumble my way through it. I had considered getting an h4n and a boom, but I wasn't sure if I'd have an extra set of hands to help out. I'm only bringing one video camera and one stills camera (both dslr's) and one on-camera rhode condenser, but I do have another idea. I could bring along one of my backup laptops from the stack, install Audacity on it, and bring out my FireStudio with some mics. If you're up for recording some audio, it'd be a big help while I capture some video b-roll. The only problem I see with that is supplying power, but I'm betting the campground must have an outlet available SOMEWHERE that we could set up a small interview chair. I'll probably only bring a USB condenser for that, but it's provided me with better-than-adequate results many times in the past without having to worry about phantom power or damaging it.

Let me know if that interests you, it could be a good excuse to pick some of the old-timers' brains for whatever good advice is rattling around up there ;)

(not kidding about the stack of laptops part)
walterclark wrote:You havent seen one of Jeffs campfires...Visible from space if it's a chilly night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Sounds like my kind of party. Should I bring along a bottle of bourbon to coerce some good stories out of people?
Ryed

Post by Ryed »

drummingpariah wrote:I could bring along one of my backup laptops from the stack, install Audacity on it, and bring out my FireStudio with some mics. If you're up for recording some audio, it'd be a big help while I capture some video b-roll. The only problem I see with that is supplying power, but I'm betting the campground must have an outlet available SOMEWHERE that we could set up a small interview chair. I'll probably only bring a USB condenser for that, but it's provided me with better-than-adequate results many times in the past without having to worry about phantom power or damaging it.

Let me know if that interests you, it could be a good excuse to pick some of the old-timers' brains for whatever good advice is rattling around up there ;)

(not kidding about the stack of laptops part)
walterclark wrote:You havent seen one of Jeffs campfires...Visible from space if it's a chilly night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Sounds like my kind of party. Should I bring along a bottle of bourbon to coerce some good stories out of people?
I'm not familiar with FireStudio, but willing to help out if I can. Back in my days of recording, it was either recording onto tape or DAT. how times have changed!
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

A little clarification:
Any real burbon you show up with will be appreciated, but this crew is experienced, and well prepared on their own. Dad D. keeps a jug stashed in my truck, in case he runs low far from his own supply.....

" Coercing" stories is not difficult, but pulling a coherent anecdote out of the mix may be another matter - and finding willing "performers"?????
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:A little clarification:
Any real burbon you show up with will be appreciated, but this crew is experienced, and well prepared on their own. Dad D. keeps a jug stashed in my truck, in case he runs low far from his own supply.....

" Coercing" stories is not difficult, but pulling a coherent anecdote out of the mix may be another matter - and finding willing "performers"?????
I'll bring along a small bottle of Knob Creek 9-year; I have a soft spot for that stuff on long weekends. I'll just have to do my best to keep my batteries charged and the camera rolling as much as possible, then I can edit/organize something 'useful' after the weekend. Also, if anyone wants to contribute corner footage or in-car footage after the event, I'll more than happily use it. I'm heading out of Manchester around 2pm today, and I'm going to see what kind of access I can get when I'm out there. I don't think I'll be able to volunteer as a worker AND take video, so I'll have to see if I can even get on the mountain in the first place.

I'm also not sure who I should talk to, the rules are pretty clear about normal people (racers and volunteers) and who to contact in those regards, but it's (understandably) fuzzy about everyone else.

My gear is now all packed up and ready to go, and I'm hoping to be able to get some introductions on film tonight.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I can provide in-car and road surface video video (road surface is HD 720 60fps via Hero camera and interior shots are 1920HD).

Green VW Golf with American flag on the roof. I can upload to my FTP site for each download.

Thanks
Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

My server has 20tb of free space right now, anyone who wants to share footage with me will be provided a login to do so.

Question
What's more annoying than having a major hosting provider crash on the Friday that's supposed to be an easy leave-early-to-go-have-fun day (http://status.aws.amazon.com/)?
Answer
Losing power in the office just after finding that out.

This has not been the best morning ever.
Mopar 151w2

Good Whiskey Never Lets You Lose Your Place

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Johnny Lee, from the Urban Cowboy soundtrack - fine advice on Burbon, and other matters:
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Jessie (unsure of spelling)

Nice to meet you. I will PM some links to the raw video that I have from this weekend.

Thanks

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Jessie (unsure of spelling)

Nice to meet you. I will PM some links to the raw video that I have from this weekend.

Thanks

Steve
Just "Jesse," the 'ie' indicates female. It was great meeting everyone this weekend, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you all again next season (hopefully on wheels this time).

To anyone who would like to contribute any kind of video, here are your instructions:
1 - Rename your video files. I've been naming them by date and car number, as that seems to give all the necessary information.
2 - Open http://owncloud.uptimefirm.com/ in your browser
3 - Login as hillclimb with the password ascutney
4 - Click to open the ascutney folder
5 - Upload your videos (click the UP arrow, then select your videos that you just renamed)

It's possible that you'll hit a maximum upload size, if you do just PM me or email me at jesse@drivendaily.org with the error message you're getting. I'll be happy to sort it out in short order.

PS - If anyone has Eric/Dick Fenton's contact info, let them know that I want that 240z if it's still available. I tried emailing but haven't heard back yet, and it'd be nice to get it settled into my garage before winter starts.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

drummingpariah wrote: PS - If anyone has Eric/Dick Fenton's contact info, let them know that I want that 240z if it's still available. I tried emailing but haven't heard back yet, and it'd be nice to get it settled into my garage before winter starts.
I got in touch with Eric on facebook, and he reports the 240z is sold.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66