Burke II report

sdwarf36

Burke II report

Post by sdwarf36 »

Hello everyone.
Sorry you wernt at Burke (this applies to all reading this but the 30 drivers that showed) If you stayed away because of the weather report, shame on you. The last of the thunder + lightning was over by 4pm Friday-and Sat. just had spotty drizzle-and Sunday turned out just fine.
Since we were low on drivers, we were also low on workers-so Sharon got real creative with her recruiting technics. Including the "if you work I'll ride on your lap in the worker truck" contest. How about the retired couple from Arizona that were in the campground to see the bikes-within 2 minutes of meeting them, he was working on the hill + she was chocking wheels! Bet they'll have some fun stories from their trip.
Saturday: the mountian was in the mood for Polish food. 1st it took a big bite out Smokeys car--and later it took a nibble at Robbies- But the Golf was tougher than turn 29. And heres something I didn't think I'd ever say-Bill Hudsons car broke. Timing chain is the preliminary diagnosis.
Dude-wheres my car? : The Ladds took their Neon out of hibernation and dropped it off Friday nite. Saturdays drivers meeting and they are nowhere to be found. Around lunchtime, Patrice drives up-minus Loren. He had twisted his back climbing out of the car and was home. I jokingly suggested that I bet I could find a qualified Neon driver (pointing at Kevin Dennis) SURE!! She tosses him the keys!
Daquris roasting on an open fire: Since the sunset was blocked by the fog bank, the daquri party started early. When we had burned thru all our strawberries, quick thinking and modern technology had James Phillips text his girlfriend who was on her way to grab some more. It took ancient tech to put them into quick defrost mode.
Wheres our check? : It seems that we are all sponsored by Volkswagon Motorsports- any car sitting still for 10 seconds got tagged with a sticker. Round up the usual suspects.
Sunday started with a damp but improving road. If we believed the weather reports, we wouldn't have gotten out of bed. All told we got 6 dry runs in.
Then the mountian got into the mood for German food. 1st Max Stratton fell down on his bike-possible tweaking the frame. So he hopped on the bike he set up for Jimi Hyder-then the motor started to sour on that bike.
James Melhuish showed up with beautiful BMW M3 -freshly caged + race prepped. He offered Brain Dennis a chance to co-drive. Unfortiantly, it didn't have a happy ending. Brian was crossing finish a bit too sideways, the car bit-snapping it towards the right-then it caught just a bit of dirt during correction snapping it hard left-straight in the bank - then it quickly spun around catching the back of the car too. Being a racer, Brian asked what his time was just minutes afterwards. Being a Kiwi, James response was "no worries". The car is getting fixed by Jimi + planned to return for Ascutney.
Hats off to Joey Kale for a string of 2:00's-but being the second car into the 1's will have to wait till next year. I took second overall with a 2:02.16-my best by just .01. Nick Wheelock got 3rd with Steve Jones just .13 behind. Jimi Hyder won the bike class (with in my opinion, the run of the weekend) a 2:19.91.
Speaking of Jimi-is TWENTY SIX runs enough for you??
Even out ride home was weird-1st at our dinner stop in White River Jct, we see a 71 Caddy "art car" covered in a few hundred plastic lobsters...hot wheels...army men...gargoyles... and to top it off, a swim fin mounted to the rear quarters on each side--all painted gold. Then when going thru Springfield ,Mass. traffic came to a panic stop + swerve-in the middle of the road a Kawasaki Mule was sitting on its side in the middle lane! There was a few cars along side of 91 looking like the got caught up in the damage-but no truck or trailer that the Mule would have fallen from!
Enough writting for me--hope you all had a good time running the KSCC season.
Thanks to all it who made it possible!
Sherman
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Burke II report

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Speaking of Jimi-is TWENTY SIX runs enough for you??
While Joey and I were setting up the corner and checkpoint signs on Friday night, Jimi was driving up and down (at least three times) putting up canopies and the like. there is no "enough" for Jimi. I hear that the Energizer Bunny is going to be replaced by Jimi.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com