Communications headsets for KSCC and SCCV events

walterclark

Communications headsets for KSCC and SCCV events

Post by walterclark »

Over the winter I was asked to look into a couple issues with the communications equipment KSCC uses at Okemo and Burke, and SCCV at Philo.

The issues were the short life of the 9V batteries in the small loudspeakers and the problem of feedback if that loudspeaker is located anywhere near the headset when the headset's mic is keyed to talk.

I have addressed both. The loudspeaker now runs off the large 6V lantern battery along with the headset, and the loudspeaker is automatically muted when the headset PTT button is pressed.

The 6V battery is now connected to the headset/loudspeaker with a 3-pin trailer style connector instead of the alligator clips and the loudspeaker has a 10' cable from the common connector for the headset/loudspeaker at the 6V battery. The 6V battery should still be disconnected at the 3-pin connector when workers leave the hill and there is an extra length cable (the loudspeaker power) to wrap up with the headset wires, otherwise things are the same. The 6V battery obviously has less voltage available than the older 9V so when both are new the 9V coupld produce louder low distortion sound, but in practical terms - the 9v batteries didnt stay at 9V very long and the 6V will stay there most of their long lives - the difference in available volume shouldnt be noticeable. I found the 6V battery we use has tended to fail from old age rather than usage and adding the loudspeaker should still give us a couple seasons from a battery so I think it is a good decision.

The automatic loudspeaker mute feature means you can use the speaker at higher volumes without feedback problems while someone is wearing and using the headset and it can be located close to the workers (e.g. under the ez-up in wet weather).

While the headsets are still the same ones as in the past, I did look around for fresh earpads as a number of the older ones are hardened and cracked or torn. I didnt find anything suitable as a permanent replacement. However I did find and have tried some cloth slip-on covers. I found one of these which is sold for pilots headsets, feels very comfortable and even cozy when slipped over even the worst of the old plastic pads. The problem with the cloth covers is they cant really stay on the phones because of sanitary issues with multiple wearers as well as obvious problems if they get wet (say from an overnight rain). I plan to bring the sets I bought with me to Ascutney if anyone wants to see them and try a headset on with them. If any folks are interested in buying a pair for their own use, I will get names at Ascutney and bring them to Burke. They are under $4 per pair plus whatever shipping ends up being for the group buy and they are washable. Here is some info on them: http://www.skygeek.com/p1-004.html
The older I get the better I was.
STI NICK
AntiSpam: No

Re: Communications headsets for KSCC and SCCV events

Post by STI NICK »

Great job. Sounds like you spent a lot of time on these.
Nick
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Way cool! Many thanks Walter. I for one look forward to not having to explain to newbie workers how to position and adjust the speaker while they are experiencing massive feedback. I also can't even count the number of times I've wanted to have the speaker closer or louder but I couldn't get it to work because of the feedback.

Not having the dead speakers will also be a big bonus. The 9 volt batteries were often dead since it was so easy to leave them turned on between events.
britracer89

Post by britracer89 »

Hey Walter. Thanks! Great job. Sounds like set up should be easier which equals better. Brian
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Based on feedback from Michele and Sharon, who tried the earpads I found for the older headsets I will begetting a set for each headset plus a few spares. At this point we will try just keeping these pads on the headsets for the event and I will wash them between events. If anyone wants their own set, let me know this week. I will hold off ordering until next week.
The older I get the better I was.
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

Thanks for all your hard work, Walter. It is much appreciated! The new earpads were great and should make a huge difference in comfort. :D
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.