BURKE 2012!

KevinGale

Re: BURKE 2012!

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote:Oh, and whoever worked on the project to get the NEHA repeater going, so you can have real time updates on times from the top of the hill via your smart phone. That is super mega cool! Thank you!
Walter supplied and configured the WiFi gear and I did the software. Basically there is a very small, very simple web server running on the finish laptop. If you have a smart phone, i-Pod or some device that supports WiFi you can connect the the NEHA hotspot at holding and point your browser to "http://finish" Some browsers will just let you type in "finish" but some will require the "http://" prefix. You will see a log of finishes with the most recent finish at the top. The log is updated when we apply a time to the database. Often we don't apply the time until after we have checked the car by finish and sometimes later than that. So don't expect the time to show up for a car the instant it crosses finish. Usually it will be 10-15 seconds later and sometimes longer.

Also keep in mind these are unofficial times and subject to change. 99% of the time they are fine but sometimes we have some glitch or problem. So use some common sense. You probably shouldn't start bragging about setting a new hill record when a 30 second time shows up next to your number for Okemo.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

KevinGale wrote:
Also keep in mind these are unofficial times and subject to change. 99% of the time they are fine but sometimes we have some glitch or problem. So use some common sense. You probably shouldn't start bragging about setting a new hill record when a 30 second time shows up next to your number for Okemo.
:lol: That explains why that 1:37 of mine didn't end up in the final results. I was beginning to think I found a worm hole.

It allows plenty of time, for you to get unbuckled etc.

Thanks for doing it.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote: :lol: That explains why that 1:37 of mine didn't end up in the final results. I was beginning to think I found a worm hole.
Perfect example and one that is still bugging me. We had two times like this that occured back to back and I can't figure out why. I keep a log of all finish events and each is timestamped. Often when we strange looking time shows up it's fixable. For example if a butterfly flies through the finish light beam while you are running up the hill (Yes that has happened, several times in one day even!) then your clock will stop early. But you will trip the light again when you get to finish and I can fix the time later by pairing up the right start and finish events.

Michele assumed that was what had happened with your time and that I could fix it later. But in your case there was and early stop but no correct finish event. Still not sure what happened. We're never 100% but we are close. With the old system of manual stop watches we had even more problems so even though the computer timing has the occasional glitch it's way better than the old manual system.

UPDATE

I did just find a bug in the timing software that probably accounted for this crazy time. It happened again and I finally was able to track it down. - Aug 5th 2013
Last edited by KevinGale on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I assumed that was from when I found the deer on course, went back to start for an immediate re-run. I assumed someone manually stopped the timer.
That would have been my second run of the day that ended up with a 2:46.48 with the red light, if that helps with trouble shooting.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

smokey15 wrote:PS Best dash plaque I've seen in 42 years of hill climb participation.
Michele's idea... I just did the artsy fartsy stuff. :mrgreen:
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

Thank you to all workers !!! Time flies when you are having fun, and this event seamed to fly by. Awesome weather, hospitality and a well-run, smooth event with a great dash plaque. Some great photos from Steve and Nick so far. And a congrats to Josh Dennis for 2nd place overall, great job. The new time set-up with the smart phones may finally have given me a reason to purchase a smart phone !
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

As Kevin mentioned, an iPod Touch will work as well (or any mobile device with wi-fi and a browser)....and you dont have all those pesky 3G/4G data charges.
The older I get the better I was.
sharonroof

Post by sharonroof »

Thanks to all the volunteer workers! You were great and never gave me any grief when I had to change your checkpoints. And a thank you to Killington Sports Car Club for the "Worker Appreciation" weekend. The pizza party and gifts were very much appreciated. Michele, thanks for going above and beyond your title of registrar. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend!
BugEyeRex

Post by BugEyeRex »

Thanks everyone for putting on a great event. Fantastic job by Sherman for ordering perfect weather for Burke. The times available at the top of the hill was awsome! It worked perfectly for my wifi mp3 player. Looking foward to Okemo.
Chris Rielly

93 Blue Impreza 4dr (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
Number_5

Post by Number_5 »

PS Best dash plaque I've seen in 42 years of hill climb participation.
Boy do I miss hillclimbing.
That dash plaque is too much. I would be a very happy guy if I could get one.
My favorite people.

Cheers
John Marsha
A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings.
Albert