Question for Burke ck. 2 workers

sdwarf36

Question for Burke ck. 2 workers

Post by sdwarf36 »

I've had some worries about the location of check 2 at Burke-as a driver and as a chair. It seems to me to be the workers are sitting comfy right at the point of a turn where a car could go off-probably at a high rate of speed. With very little work, the check could get moved to the other side of the road.
So my question is this: anyone who's worked check 2 ever seen anything that's scared you ? All input is welcome.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sachilles

Re: Question for Burke ck. 2 workers

Post by sachilles »

I've never liked that spot as a worker, nor as a driver. As a worker, you are right in the danger zone. Everyone is in control for the most part, but it really wouldn't take much.
My thought was to just move them closer to check 1 side of the tree line and further back. There is plenty of room there to do it.

Right now they tend to be in the middle of that clearing, which in my opinion is the danger zone.
Especially with someone working 1a, it should be doable. I think in the past check 2 was needed to look downhill at that mountain bike crossing, before we started manning that path.

Edit: I'm no Bob Ross, but this picture explains my thoughts.

Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

Sherm & Seth,

I have had similar concerns about the safety for the corner workers on Check 2. Hopefully, we can come up with a satisfactory recommendation to move the workers on that checkpoint to a safer location and Seth's suggestion is a good start.

Smokey
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I was thinking just cross the road with the wire (in the trees ) and have the workers on the right side of the road. Plenty of clearing-with parking. The drop would still line up with the check np.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The inside of the turn is certainly safer for the workers and with the high speeds at that point a car is going to be on top or the workers or miss them before they can say "OH S**T!!", let alone move. If the trees downhill from the checkpoint on the outside are stout and the workers can remember to stay behind them, the change shown in Seth's diagram would work, but everyone wants to see so I would guess moving the checkpoint so the trees CAN provide protection probably wont mean they WILL.

Sherm are you thinking about having the wire cross the road (twice) or just the drop?
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Wondering out loud, if you do cross the road with the main wire, would it make sense to do it near 1a, so you could then have land line service there and then cross again above 2.

Another thing to think about is the Downhill mtn bike trail is suppose to cross at check 2. They won't be climbing from the bottom up, they'll be bombing from the top down. Of course they shouldn't be there....but they could be.

I'd agree that the inside is the safest option. However stringing the wire across could prove to be a challenge.

I've worked there a bunch of times, and we've put that check in various spots in that clearing upon setup. Some felt safer than others. No matter where we place it, there is no guarantee a worker won't try to get too close(regardless of side). I'm confident that most of regular workers would stay put in a safe area, if told so. Its new ones that might not take that to heart. I've always tried to make sure my parked car was between me and the course.

Either way,it's good that this is being discussed. I was always a little nervous as the faster cars came through there, and I know I've moved up the hill more than once. Having driven the course more recently and feeling the loads on that corner, I'd be that much more nervous being stationed there.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

When I run the wire, we just put the drop where it lands in the clearing--its up to the workers where they finally set up the Ez up + put their chairs. There is always plenty of spare main wire to move around + a long enough drop to adjust. But it always seems the choice is dead in the middle of the clearing.
From what I can remember, there really isnt any good trees on the downhill side on the clearing , all I can picture is nothing but sapplings + brush.
My thought is cross the road with the wire-somewhere near 1a-hang it in the trees with a couple of plastic clamps-and cross back where convient -probably right above turn 11 or so (the compression bump).
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I'm all for getting 1A on the wire. That gives a better chance of check 1 being able to red flag if people end up in the road at 1A.

And I certainly agree about moving check 2 workers to a safer spot. I know I'm fairly aware of this issue when I'm working but that is only because I once had a car land almost close enough to touch when I was working. Never had time to get out of my chair. People either don't think about it or they assume they will have time to run but it just happens too fast! :o
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

As a worker i would not want to be attached to a wire that is run across the road. One small loop gets caught on someone's car as it bottoms out and you've got a mess on your hands. Usually someone sets up all the tents in the morning. That person could be asked to set it up closer to the trees. Workers can be warned of the danger of standing in the middle of the clearing. They'll still have the view going up the hill
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

3rdgendennis wrote:As a worker i would not want to be attached to a wire that is run across the road. One small loop gets caught on someone's car as it bottoms out and you've got a mess on your hands. Usually someone sets up all the tents in the morning. That person could be asked to set it up closer to the trees. Workers can be warned of the danger of standing in the middle of the clearing. They'll still have the view going up the hill
I haven't read everything above, but my assumption is that we would not run a wire across the road... instead, use drainage pipes to run the wire under the road.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com