BURKE HILLCLIMB 2013

dsldubn
AntiSpam: No

Re: BURKE HILLCLIMB 2013

Post by dsldubn »

thanks Seth.

Looks like I'll actually be coming to the hill. I'm even planning to race (let's hope I get the car done, and if not, I'll just tour real slow,or slower I mean)...so I'll bring the extinguisher up on Friday!
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Good news.

I still have 2+ gallons of veggie if you want it. Not sure if I'll have the room to bring it to ascutney or not.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

Thanks Seth. Don't worry about bringing it to Burke or anything...I'll be driving my car, with all my camping gear and spares in the car, so I won't have room for much. Maybe I can find some time to get over your way some day.

Michele, sorry for the late entry, but I just sent in my entry and payment today.. I'm going to try to be the fastest diesel there, hehe
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Question from a new guy about Burke. I hear corner 3 is tricky, as in it can be taken fast but from the videos I've seen appears to be off camber at the exit. Any sage advice from the more experienced drivers on this? Or any other tricky part for that matter. I'm sure the hill will be a little easier to learn than all 3.6 miles of ascutney was, but any help/hints are always appreciated.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
kindabratty328

Post by kindabratty328 »

Just a suggestion, that everyone entered or planning to enter for Burke, take a few minutes to review the current rules. There have been a few changes since last year, but more importantly, it's about just refreshing your memory and being sure nothing falls through the cracks. If you are a rookie, it is imperitive that you understand the rules BEFORE you get to the hill. If you have questions, just ask. There are folks here on the forum who would be happy to help.

Michele
Breathe in... breathe out... move on.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

A little perspective on Burke, from someone who has won big and lost hard there:
Burke is fast, things happen FAST, and you can't see far ahead. Camber is irregular, and the new/good pavement is narrow. There are several places where the car gets very light, or pretty heavy. Paradoxically, this means that overthinking is your enemy - you need to stay down in that old lizard brain (Smokey calls it the amyglyde ?), 'cuz it's hard-wired and fast. Burke is fairly easy to learn, but keep a little in your sneaker 'til you always know where you are on the course, and what your car will do next.
As to turn 3 - We currently start into turn 3, as the start line has moved up due to noise issues. Were we using the original start, Turn 3/4 is tricky / marginal without a "curteousy" lift in a high HP car.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Maybe you are thinking of turn 6 which is at check 1?
It's a very different corner for a car with power like yours. Some cut it tight and "jump" the corner and others stay a little wide to avoid the jump and stay stable.
I think Mr. Gale takes the wider approach, where Joey Kale in his subaru likes to jump. I think Chris R has been trying to figure out which way he likes.
You then have the long sweeper by check 2, which low hp momentum cars need to take full throttle to maintain speed up the following steep section. You won't have that problem.
It will be my first time with turbo, and anticipate it will be much different than my previous visits. I can only imagine the power of your mod through that section.
Sachilles
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Yeah I think you mean the turn at check 1. I used to try to take it tight over the grass and the car would get light and almost fly. It always felt bad. I needed to wait until the car landed before I could turn and it's panic time in between since I'm going really fast and pointing off the road. I had to time the turn exactly so I turned sharply just as the front wheels were under maximum compression so they had enough grip.

At the last Burke Sherm said that he had tried both and found that taking it a bit wide and treating it like a normal corner worked better for him. I tried it and it was SOOOO much better for me. We sometimes do radar coming into that corner and I went from 95 mph to 104 mph with the new line. Before I was letting off because I was pretty sure the car wouldn't come down until it had left the road. Sometimes cutting the corner isn't the fast way.

This new line also prevents the panic situation I had at that corner once. I went off on the opposite side of the corner from the jump. I was coming in too fast figured out at the last second that the jump would be a disaster and kinda hit the brakes and threw the car a bit sideways to avoid the jump. The car stuck and I went off on the inside of the corner. Didn't hurt anything and I kept going but it wasn't good.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Luke - The other turn I would watch if I was you is turn 29. You will be able to come into that corner very fast. Just be aware it can sneak up on you. Been there done that!
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Turn 29 is an odd one for me as well.
I feel like you can see so much of it....but that is because of the lack of trees, which is pretty rare for our turns. Feels tighter than it looks.
Sachilles