BURKE 2 (Yes, really!!)

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: BURKE 2 (Yes, really!!)

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Burke II results have been posted....
http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_results.html

As always... looking for good photos and videos of the green Golf with American flag on the roof. This time, also looking for Julie's car (red VW Jetta / #101). Thx!

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

Does anyone have a link to pics? Any pics or videos from checkpoints? I'm not a facebook user, so maybe I'm out of luck...but was hoping to see some action shots
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

notice that inside tire in the air and the tire locked solid, guess I was left foot braking

Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

dsldubn wrote:Does anyone have a link to pics? Any pics or videos from checkpoints? I'm not a facebook user, so maybe I'm out of luck...but was hoping to see some action shots
Lots on Facebook.

This link was posted on the previous page of this thread:
http://aphillips66.smugmug.com/Motorcyc ... /i-GDc9wZR

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I am trying to get that I took uploaded. Painfully slow PC and some odd editing issues slowing me down.

I have a few snippets from Check 5 on Sunday afternoon. This is the first one I edited down. For some reason I cant seem to remove some dead time later in the video before Paul Malko goes by without also removing him so there is a long period of nothing left in just before the end.

This one should be a little better. Each driver comes by a little after the seconds tick past :00...

Last one, has Bill and Julie...

And my second run on Sunday - 2:25.53, a personal best. I can still see some opportunities to take more time out...next year. I also need to change the light metering. Nice to see inside the car but the road is washed out in direct sun with light averaging mode.

Last edited by walterclark on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the better I was.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

A quick compilation from Burke from Andrew's perspective. Any video he isn't in was taken by him with Rhonda's phone.

Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

walterclark wrote:before Paul Malko goes by
I'm pretty sure that's Rich in the first video, I'm in the run group shown in the 2nd video. The other hint is that I'm "allowed" to be more liberal with the throttle. Unlike Rich, Marge/Mom/The-Responsible-Adult hasn't promised to ban me from racing if I put a wheel off. ;)

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Brian was looking for a little summary of Burke since he was unable to attend. So here is my two cents. Feel free to add your two cents, and eventually we might end up with enough to buy a few beers.

This was honestly the best weather I ever remember for the entirety of our time at the hill. Warm days, cool nights. The sun was shining so brightly, that the morning fam runs where a challenge to see through the glare in some corners. It was a busy weekend at the hill, but thankfully the wrecker didn't have any major work to do. Kevin Rhoads transmission called no joy on the Sunday fam run, forcing him to run his toyota Tundra up the hill. While it might have been a throw away run, he roasted the tires up from start that could be heard all the way from the opposite side of the campground. Other hard luck stories include Sherm who's transmission caused a DNS for Sunday. Erik Reisner in the white mk2 VR6 turbo golf, blew something in the cooling system, but with some help was able to fix it so he didn't miss a run. Kent Everding had a boost leak forcing an early end to his day. Steve Jones had a power steering hose go at the top of the hill on the last run of the day, so he lucked out. Butch was also having some trouble with his transmission, requiring he hold the shifter in gear in 2nd. He normal is waving at all the check point workers, so unfortunately that hand had to be re-purposed for his shifter. Clark ran into fuel pump issues, ending his weekend early as well. The true hard luck award winner goes to Paul Hammond and Natalie Vogt. They were at Okemo 1 and had some rod knock in their wrx wagon, resulting in an early exit to the weekend. They returned to Burke 2 for another go with a replacement used motor. Sadly, it's fate was the same. They were able to borrow Kevin Gale's trailer to get the injured car home, thankfully they live relatively close to Burke.
The only agricultural experience was Steve Jones who just barely went a little too long into the corner near check 4. In an effort to salvage the run he roasted his tires in first, second and third gear as he left the corner. If you were to happen upon the scene, it would look like someone over-cooked the downhill portion of the corner.
Bikes were in attendance this weekend, but forgive me as don't know much about the different bike types. However there was a mix of modern and vintage stuff. As I understand it, Joe Warner set a new bike hill record.
We had a few new comers. Even in his Chevy Aveo and Andre in his toyota powered rear drive mini. Andre was seen fashioning new velocity stacks out of plastic water bottles over the camp fire.
We had to share the hill with a running race on saturday. They needed to cross the road near the ambulance check point. Thankfully that was timed perfectly with our lunch break so it was a non issue. There was also a motorcycle rally at the resort, which largely did not affect us aside from overhearing whatever band was playing at the base lodge.....the could benefit with some practice.
The night life was more subdued than previous Burke events, as it was chilly enough that folks didn't want to stray too far from fire. We did the normal sunset cruise to the top of the hill and it was gorgeous as always. A few new folks got to see the glowing moss for the first time. It was quite the relief for Andre to find that I was describing moss and not moose. I'm at fault for that as my french isn't nearly as good as his english. Many were awakened Saturday evening/Sunday morning as a local decided he wanted to kill a set of tires some where near the ski academy. I was tired enough to sleep right through it.
Despite some new workers, we were well short of the number number needed. I think we had 4 check points manned by worker/drivers at any given time on Saturday. Sunday was a little better, but we still needed some worker/driver coverage.
When the dust had settled, Kevin Gale had FTD with a 2:02.32, with Butch and Jude rounding out the top three. Joe Warner was the top bike, and 7th overall.
We had 32 total entrants, and 6 runs a piece. Despite the extra complexity of the worker driver change over, and the other complications, Smokey was able to keep everything under control and running smoothly. Having listened to Smokey over the weekend working a check point, I'd liken it to a swimming duck......looks nice and calm on the surface, but underneath, feet are frantically moving try to keep afloat and steered in the correct direction.
Several folks reported having new personal best times, including myself and Walter Clark.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

To slightly extend Seth's report:

- The event was as well run as the weather was good.
- Many of us in low-powered cars (un-powered in my case, according to Sherman) also set personal best times and everyone made steady improvements over the course of the weekend.
- Apart from a couple break-downs, the wrecker stayed parked.
- I'd heard that one of the bikes was laid down on the Sun fam run in sympathy with Kevin R's transmission, but I don't know who.
- Steve Js tire tracks leaving turn 17 really did look like someone had come down the hill going far too fast and locked-up for 100 yards, ending in the ditch.
- Joe W proved that, as cool as the vintage bikes are, the new ones are much, much, much faster.
- While being neck-and-neck through the first half of the year, I couldn't get within 4 or 5 seconds of Julie. Steve had better not "fix" anything else on that maroon Jetta.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
minirally

Post by minirally »

i want the moose with the eyes bright at night !!!!! :lol: :lol:

When i saw the 2 milles burning stripes up to the campsite, i said ohhh shit ,not good !!! Hope the residents know it is not one of the hill climb group,as they know we are racing this week end, i dont like that , here in quebec we lost a racing site because of other people not involve in the sport do crazy things.......

in another orde of idea, someone know a site where i can get pictures of the week end,cars,and all of you? My girl friend accidently FORMAT the camera where she took all the pictures :(
Oversteer is when the passenger is scared, Understeer is when the driver is scared