OKEMO for a Newby?

skimobile

OKEMO for a Newby?

Post by skimobile »

Question for the experts.
I have autocross and HPDE track experience but no wheel-to-wheel racing or hillclimb experience.
I've been interested in getting into hillclimbs for several seasons but the car had other ideas. It's finally ready and I was hoping to make OKEMO my 1st event. It looks like I'll be in SP3 (03 Subaru WRX).
How is Okemo for a 1st hill for someone just starting out in the world of "real" racing/hillclimbs?
I'd like to sign up this weekend but I was hoping for some insight as to just what I'm getting into ;) Thanks!
Ryed
AntiSpam: No

Re: OKEMO for a Newby?

Post by Ryed »

I start by not qualifying myself as an expert...

I don't think there is any particular hill that is more ideal for a rookie. I'd say Ascutney is the least favorable for a 1st time hillclimber as the combination of road camber and bumps is worse than any other hill.

Okemo is perfectly fine for a rookie. Just make sure you get there early enough on Friday for the Rookie Orientation. Sherm will take the rookies up the hill slowly in a pickup and give you good pointers on the more dangerous spots on the hill.

Run in group B and take a fam-run with someone in group A. That will give you more perspective on the hill before you drive it yourself.

I'm sure others will chime in with more words of wisdom.
91 VW GTI VR6 Turbo "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F-150 "Tullibee"
2006 BMW 530xi "Grace Jones"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Hondacivic691

Post by Hondacivic691 »

I'm interested in this also. How are the road conditions? I've seen a few videos, and in some spots it reminds me of the top section of Ascutney.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

I'm biting the bullet. Reg is filled out and will be in the mail tomorrow. I guess the only way to learn is by doing so I'll just take it easy and see what I can learn about the hill.
If you see me there please stop and say hi :)
Hondacivic691

Post by Hondacivic691 »

Sean is that you? Sporty new livery! This is Jay over at Wicked, glad to see you're taking the car to some hillclimbs this year
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Yea Jay it's me : ) Haven't seen you in a while. How are you doing since the move from RI to NH? Are you and Tom going to Okemo-1?
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

The road has a couple of rough spots-but still way better than Ascutney. Probably the easiest to remember-but remembering a turn and getting it right are 2 different things. :o It also has the highest speed sections on any of the hills. And everything Erik said. ;) Rookie orentation at 6:30 Fri nite. Camping is free-(NO FIRES) its just a big dirt parking lot. Or you can rent a condo -and many hotels in town Plenty of great food choices within 1 mile of the place. And if the Loft is open ("home of warm beer-lousy food+ grumpy owner") you have a great option in walking distance.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Hondacivic691

Post by Hondacivic691 »

skimobile wrote:Yea Jay it's me : ) Haven't seen you in a while. How are you doing since the move from RI to NH? Are you and Tom going to Okemo-1?
I have heavily adopted the "live free or die" mentality :-) what can I say it's awesome up here. Well worth the move. And yes we'll be there, you'll be glad you signed up too it's a great organization.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Just do it.
I've noticed your posts the last several years. Okemo is a good starting point.

Just go have fun, don't try to impress anyone. Don't look at your times until the end of the weekend.

They say it takes 20 runs to "know" a hill. That is a few years worth of events. So, there is no need to feel like you need to set the world on fire your first day.

Bring something to give you shade during the day. Something to quench your thirst during the day, and something to quench your thirst after hours and a chair to sit in.

Get there early enough to get your car teched Friday, in case there is some simple thing that needs to be worked on. Saves you from scrambling saturday morning.

Fire ext,
Working horn
trash bag in glove box
correctly dated belts.
SA2005 or newer helmet....no M helmets.

Don't get so worked up you can't sleep friday night.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Got it : )
Thanks so much for the input everyone.
Reg went into the mail today so I hope to see you there.
I plan on driving up from RI early Friday morning so I should be there in plenty of time for rookie orientation and tech.

Sachilles, one final question, is an air horn required to be mounted in the driver compartment to signal in case of accident and power cut?
I have one I can bring/mount if needed.