Great Event

PRODOG
AntiSpam: No

Great Event

Post by PRODOG »

I wanted to take a minute to thank the entire group/club for their efforts this past weekend. It was a blast to attend the event (not to mention driving the DAEWOO).

The event went off very well and smoothly from my perspective and I hope to make it to the next one.

If the lights on my trailer had been functioning I would have attended the trophy presentations but another sign of my age is that I try to avoid confrontations with the Police.

Thanks again ---

Drew
Rabbit Farmer

Re: Great Event

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Great event. Great weather on Sunday. Great Irish pub at the bottom of the hill (didn't know there were that many kinds of whiskey and single malts).

Results have been posted!

http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_results.html

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

PRODOG wrote:... another sign of my age is that I try to avoid confrontations with the Police.
I think that is called wisdom and it definitely increases with age. :)
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

It was a great event. I want to that Sherm for letting me drive his small rocket ship. It was a new experience shifting what felt like 100 times before check one. Getting used to shifting at nearly 12,000 RPM was also a challenge. My first run I kept shifting at about 7,000 RPM which sounded about right to my small block chevy calibrated ear. The rocket ship engine was not happy with this treatment. :lol: Once I recalibrated my brain to see 5,000 RPM as idle speed things went much better.

I still never figured out the launch procedure. Sherm's ship is definely harder to launch than mine. He makes it look easy. Don't believe it, there is a ton of skill to get that car off the line rapidly.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

It was interesting hearing you go by check 6 and above compared to Sherman. You were getting the hang of it by the end of the day, but that first one was entertaining. I imagine the short wheelbase took some getting use to as well.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

sachilles wrote:... I imagine the short wheelbase took some getting use to as well.
That part wasn't so bad. Like most rear wheel drive cars with power the rear wheels often seem to think they should be in the lead. The back end was a lot more free than with my car. Sherm's car is much happier when the back end is hanging out a bit in a corner. But it was very controllable once I started to get a bit more comfortable with it. Sherm kept telling me the gas pedal was my friend and he was right.

It was probably good for me in another way. I still have fears about the back end of the car getting away from me. Mostly they stem from the old modified I ran with Ray Gonthier. In that car the rear end would just decide to check out and leave you with the bill. Partly they also stem from having 3/4" of rear toe out in the current modified when I first got it. That was a contributing factor in my hitting a tree hard at Ascutney. SInce I've left the road a few times after losing the rear end of the car I tend to get concerned when it starts to drift out. Driving something that want's to drift a bit was a good thing for me.
Terry.Murphy

Post by Terry.Murphy »

I also want to say that it I had a fantastic time at my first Okemo Hillclimb. Thanks to Earl, Smokey, Sherman, Michelle, Sharon, Don, Walter, and everyone else that made this event happen. A HUGE thanks to the workers for coming and making our event possible as well! Okemo is a great hill to climb but I have finally been hit big time with the "I need way more power" bug. I am hoping I can make the August event and I look forward to seeing all of you then! Thanks again.

-Terry
2010 Subaru Forester DD
1996 Legacy Outback Wagon - Winter Beater
2001 Impreza RS - Project Autox/Hillclimb/Track Car
almracing

Post by almracing »

Ditto on the great event kudos!! My first time at Okemo and it was a blast. A real big thanks to Kevin and Walter for the finish times at the top.

Anthony R.