Isn't OKEMO MT. Road normally open to traffic?

skimobile

Isn't OKEMO MT. Road normally open to traffic?

Post by skimobile »

SO, a guy I work with also happens to work part time as an instructor @ OKEMO.
I asked him Friday about OKEMO MT. Road access and he says "yea it's almost always open, you can drive up to the top".
SO today I drive up from RI to check out the course/road conditions and, of course, the road is chained off :? , even though the large brown sign sign at the bottom says travel up the mountain road is posted at a 25 mph limit.
I had the dog with me, so we both hoofed it up the road to the 2nd switchback.. The road looks to have seen some abuse, with some sections broken up and a lot of the road chewed up from snowcats, plows, etc., and this was on the lower half of the course, which I would imagine is the "Smooth" section.
I would have liked to have driven the road to do some reconn prior to OKEMO 1.... Is there a date the road opens?
I went to the Main Mountain area and Jackson Gore area today and the whole place was a ghost town, with no one around to ask.
sachilles

Re: Isn't OKEMO MT. Road normally open to traffic?

Post by sachilles »

I don't work there, so I can comment directly. I work for a competing resort. The road requires seasonal work to reopen to car traffic. There are a few places that snow making pipe crosses over the road, and those must be undone every spring summer. Unsure when they do it, but I know with my resort, many employees are using this time of year to catch up on vacation time after a long winter ski season. Summer work then goes full force around Memorial Day.
Last edited by sachilles on Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Surprised. There is a private residence on the road.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes it is usually open to traffic in the summer. As Seth said, it may not have had the fill for the road crossing trails or snow making equipment that cross the road for winter removed yet.
The older I get the better I was.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

Gotcha.
If anyone could post once they hear that Okemo Mt. Road has officially opened to traffic, that would be great. Thanks!
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Surprised. There is a private residence on the road.
Long since abandon.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Built by a guy named (George?) Lysoby, as some kind of private feud with the Mountain corporation. When it was first built (by Ludlow's slowest carpenters), he was cool with playing along with us - If he wanted to go out in the morning, he'd follow a bringdown, and he'd line up in hot staging to go home. Supposedly, he was a trawler captain or the like before retirement, and "got" how we operate right off. And somehow, he got the idea that his playing along with us was another thorn in the side of Okemo.....Kudos to whoever (likely Laurie Sullivan or Gary Pike) did that little bit of social engineering.
44 mod

Post by 44 mod »

Okemo mt road is open .it just snowed there 3 week ago, but i have made several trips up since then. road looks about the same as last year .if you need any info let me know as i am 3 miles from the mt. Roy 802-875-2839 DAYS 802-875-2077 EVES
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

But the important question-is the Loft open?
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
44 mod

Post by 44 mod »

The loft will not be open for okemo 1 but will be for okemo 2