Okemo 1 Workers

Hypoid
AntiSpam: No

Okemo 1 Workers

Post by Hypoid »

Hi,

I worked Ascutney a month ago, and am planning on working sat at least. How do I book a place to sleep? It'll be just me, a motorcycle, and tent.

Cheers

Jack
skimobile

Re: Okemo 1 Workers

Post by skimobile »

I don't believe OKEMO allows camping on-site
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

No--camping is just fine there. As long as we don't have any fires and the place looks as good as we found it, the management are fine with us.
Thanks for coming up + working!
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
3rdgendennis

Post by 3rdgendennis »

In the past they have told us no tents on site (they don't want someone driving around to not see the tent and run it over)...If you put a tent on a car trailer it becomes an RV :lol: ... If anyone gives you trouble, I'll have an empty flat deck trailer
The youngest David Dennis
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dennis Motorsports
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

We've certainly had tents recently. The whole camping situation in the Okemo lot is a bit of a gray area. Many Many years ago (before my time) there were apparently problems with people getting to wild. Okemo didn't like that and shut down all camping, so no one could stay in the parking lot. As the memory of these incidents faded they started allowing a few people to stay in self contained campers/motorhomes to act as security for all the race cars and equipment we were leaving in the lot. This over the years has gradually changed to large numbers of people camping in the lot. However I don't think we ever actually got permission from Okemo. So we still talk about self contained units which means tents are deep into the gray area.

If anyone has more up to date info on this I'd like to hear it.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

So is "camping" in my Ford Econoline panel van acceptable in the lot?
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

skimobile wrote:So is "camping" in my Ford Econoline panel van acceptable in the lot?
Sounds "self contained" to me. And you will be one of many doing it. I wasn't trying to scare anyone away. Just thought it might be useful to explain why there are strange answers given when people ask about camping at Okemo.
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

I've slept in a tent many times at Okemo and didn't know about any of this history. Ignorance is bliss.

After my 1st night there, I learned to be conscious of the floodlight locations as I prefer to sleep in the dark.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
Hypoid

Post by Hypoid »

Thanks.

DD, I'll take you up on pitching my tent on your trailer. It sounds easier than curling up on my handlebars.

Cheers

Jack
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Hypoid wrote:Thanks.

DD, I'll take you up on pitching my tent on your trailer. It sounds easier than curling up on my handlebars.

Cheers

Jack

Honestly pitching it on the ground probably won't be a problem. People have been pitching tents for the last couple years at least and Okemo hasn't complained. I really wasn't trying to scare anyone who is doing that. I really just wanted to explain the weird answers people get when they ask about camping in the lot. It is a gray area but not one that Okemo seems to care about.