Plilo October 17-18, 2009

honda#72
AntiSpam: No

Re: Plilo October 17-18, 2009

Post by honda#72 »

I had to leave at lunch sunday, what turn did the dodge have it's incident ? Glad to here the driver is ok :shock:
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

approximately around turn 1
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
honda#72

Post by honda#72 »

turn one or check one?
1997 cc + Vtec + 9,200 rpm fuel cut = Fun !
W.Vaillancourt

Post by W.Vaillancourt »

Turn one.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Heres a few pictures courtesy of Alex shot on Sunday. (click on image for larger image)
Jimi Hyder

Walter Clark

Tim Osterman

Butch King

Ralph Costantini

Nick Cota
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Sherman... you need to remove the extra at the start and the at the end to make the images work. I fixed your first post.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

Ok-you know its gonna be strange weekend when your loading up in the snow in Ct--and you get to Vt + its sunny + warm (ish). Actually the weather stayed decent all weekend long-at bit chilly at nite (upper 20's) with day highs near 50. No rain and the leaves were staying on the trees. We were breaking in our new camper--a converted "short bus" and all the creature comforts installed like heater + bathroom worked out great.
My Saturday started out bad and got worse. During the fam run, traffic backed up as I was crossing finish-my car does NOT like taking off from a stop easy-so I slap the clutch just as I get ready to stop moving and BANG! I break an axle! Luckily I had a spare + was fixed in 15 minutes. 2nd pass up the hill I had a tire going soft so I had to throw a tube in at lunch-and then on the 3rd run I really botched it. As I was charging down the straight at the rock turn, I was planning on using the turn 5 sign as a braking marker. By the time I realized I missed it , it was too late. I did the full panic brake locked slide -from the entrance to the turn over the trap rocks down onto the "escape road" and pointing right at the drop off. My left foot was hard on the brake-and the car was chugging in 4th? gear before I got to the kill switch-stopping 2 ft from the edge.Image It broke a lower control arm + bent a heim joint going over the rocks. (Ok-so I'm now up to 2 "offs" in 9 years-both here.) I shouldn't feel bad--Nick Cota missed it twice-even Bill Hudson did! I had spares and was able to align the car in the cold + dark. (thanks to Joey for the offer to go back to his shop to remake some parts to get the car back to normal and John Marsha + Kevin for the alignment help)
I wasn't alone in off road excursions-Joey had a minor one-and Nick Wheelock buffed out his paint with bark on the last turn-all cosmetic-but I think he got all 4 sides-and the front-and back too. He was fine--the same can't be said of Michele who ran with the fire extinguisher toward the scene -and proceeded to trip over the wire on the way. Witnesses said she did her darnest to not fall on the road-and did various piriottes + acrobatic maneuvers before finally landing on all 4's--on the rocks on the side of the road. (The Russian judges low score kept it to only an 8.8. Not enuff to beat John Harts "shutting off the clock while crossing the line in reverse" ) Minor scrapes on her knees + hands was the outcome.
Sunday was going along well-Joey + I were swapping the lead back + forth by a couple of tenths. The day got cut short when Ryan Lawlis lost it with his Mits vr4 between turn 1 +2 and went hard into a tree scattering broken glass + parts for a 100 ft radius. He was ok after a hospital check out but the clean up took a while--even with the help of every driver that was at start. I ended up coming out on top with a 1:04.86 to his 1:05.28 for FTD.
This was John Marsha's last event after a 30 year hillclimbing career-he says he'll be back to the hills to work--just won't have to fuss about the car. Thanks for the memories John-gonna miss you in holding!
A big thanks to Steve + Nick + the SCCV gang for their hard work-and the Hinchman crew for having damn good warm food available for breakfast lunch + dinner.
So there you have it folks--2009 is in the books. We had a bumper crop of rookies-many I think are coming back. Our numbers are back on the upswing-our average age has dropped a bunch (not just cuz you're leaving John!) and people are already talking of 2010 plans.

See you at the banquet!
Sherman
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

people are already talking of 2010 plans.
I already requested Philo 2010 from the state. :mrgreen:
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

sdwarf36 wrote: So there you have it folks--2009 is in the books. We had a bumper crop of rookies-many I think are coming back. Our numbers are back on the upswing-our average age has dropped a bunch (not just cuz you're leaving John!) and people are already talking of 2010 plans.

See you at the banquet!
Sherman
This is the first year that I've run hillclimbs, and I'm definitely hooked. I've been around many types of racing (but always on a crew, not a driver) and have to say that the hillclimb crowd is by far the most enjoyable and friendly bunch of people. Everyone is very welcoming to new guys, and all seem to be happy to share advice....doesn't matter who you are or what you driver either (even diesels!), which is really cool. I'm looking forward to next year.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter