My Philo Follow-up

W.Vaillancourt

My Philo Follow-up

Post by W.Vaillancourt »

The NEHA Mount Philo Hillclimb proved once again why it is the most stunning and dangerous hill in the series. With its surreal views, this short, tight course with crests that will easily unbalance any car, is favored by many and feared by all. Saturday started with 30 degree temperatures and clear skies. After the drivers meeting, Rookies to the hill got their first taste of what to expect while doing a ride along with the veterans of the hill. It was an odd feeling, driving two other people up at high speed, and explaining the course to them on the way. Last year, it was I who was in the passenger seat, thinking to myself the whole time that I must be crazy to run on this course. On other courses, such as Burke or Okemo, you can bobble a little and still be able to save yourself before you meet a tree. Not true for Philo; one mistake, and you will find yourself knocking down more tree’s than a lumberjack. After all the practice runs were completed in the morning, it was time for the real deal.
With Sundays weather up in the air, there was very little “taking it easy” runs. No one held back, and the times proved it. There were a few off’s Saturday, but mostly minor ones. Only one required the speedway safety crew and tow truck. Luckily the driver was ok. His car was retired for the weekend but overall damage was not nearly as bad as it could have been.
After the day was done, I found myself sitting second in class, and 15th overall. Sundays weather ended up giving us crystal clear skies, but extremely cold weather. Due to some issues in the morning, I was unable to make any runs in the morning session. Lining up after lunch, there were a few timing issue’s that held us up for awhile; blowing leaves kept tripping the timing light. Then it was finally my turn. Ryan Lawlis, in his 3000gt, just had a massive launch right before me. I was strapping my helmet on, and mentally preparing myself as he took off. Five seconds later, I heard someone say “that didn’t sound good”. A few moments later, the speedway safety crew rocketed up the hill. Seeing the safety crew go up the hill is nothing new. However, seeing groups of people running up the hill AFTER the safety crew, is a little alarming. At that point, I decided to make the journey up the hill myself. I didn’t have to go far; Ryan had lost control going into turn one. Oversteering put him into a tree, bouncing him across the road. Ryan was visibly shaken, but ok overall. He was taken to the Hospital for further evaluation. The car however, did not fare so well. The impact was so hard, it left transmission gears sitting on top of the motor.
After a lengthy clean up of glass and fluids, they decided to shut down the hill. The turn was just too slippery. No amount of speed dry would clean it up. The risk of having another bad incident was far too high to continue. All and all, it was an extremely exciting weekend. Driving the Evo again was eye opening. I had forgotten just how powerful the RS is. I can’t wait until next year!

I will post the in car footage when I get a chance to download it all!