AntiSpam: No

Re: My '86 GTI build

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The M is even stronger. :)
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes, you are right. But from what I have read the M is a good deal less plug n' play than the A or J into the A2 and it weighs a good bit more so I think it would only become my solution if the A/J proves not strong enough. I could end up there of course, but I would like to start on a path with less resistance and lower entry cost.
The older I get the better I was.
Larson

Post by Larson »

My friend has the cable clutch slave cylinder actuator thingy you need. $100

I could bring it to Ascutney.
Larson Schultz

El Jemino Hillcimb Special V1.0
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Larson wrote:My friend has the cable clutch slave cylinder actuator thingy you need. $100

I could bring it to Ascutney.
Do you mean something like this?:

If so, and its not worn out, I will take it!
Larson

Post by Larson »

Yup, it's that and it's got the rubber boot too.
Larson Schultz

El Jemino Hillcimb Special V1.0
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Larson wrote:Yup, it's that and it's got the rubber boot too.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

After my spin and trip over a culvert at Ascutney, the season for the GTI is over.

I did a preliminary assessment of damaged parts that need to be replaced or repaired and they include both bumper covers, the rear bumper frame, bearings in the left rear axle stub, axle beam, steering rack, much of the RF suspension pieces including a hard-to-find ball joint lowering adapter, RF wheel and RF frame forward of the firewall.

I did a few things to try to try to correct some of the issues I found early on.

On the left rear I found about a half inch of toe out and the outer wheel bearing was damaged. I verified the that for some reason the stub axle wasnt bent (they usually are when hit like this) and despite the wheel being scared up by something like a rock or cement it was straight. I replace the bearing temporarily with one from another car so I can move it around and proceed to deal with the toe out. Since the trailing arm on the beam must have been tweaked I shimmed the stub to bring the toe back to zero. The camber seemed OK. I put the car on the ground and noticed the LR wheel sits much more up into the wheel well than the RR or before the off, by maybe an inch. I havent removed the beam yet to measure it but I would says it has been bent upwards on the left side. These things hardly ever bend back and stay put so its probably time for me to build up a another beam.

From there I went thru the RF where I could feel the steering rack hanging during part of the movement suggesting the rack is bent, and what appears to be a very loose bushing on the right side of the rack. So that needs to be replaced. I then found the ball joint and extender were damaged and loose, the wheel bearing is loose and the wheel is bent. It also appears the strut tower and the stub frame forward of the firewall are bent upwards a little. The RF fender no longer aligns with the hood and when I checked my corner weights it is obvious the RF/LR are very light now. My cross weight in august was 50% and now its 40%. Measuring the chassis everything seems true until I get forward of the firewall then the front of the fender and the front bumper support is about an inch high and the top of the strut tower has been mushroomed up a little. I havent pulled the strut to see if the top of it is still straight or not but I have had one of these bend before with a similar hit during my crash in 2008.

So even ignoring the bumpers for now I have too many things to correct on the car for me to realistically and financially make it race capable for Philo. Time to begin the winter projects...

The good news is I dont need to run the car at Philo to qualify for the championship or, based on what I see among the other P3 competitors standings, for it to make any difference in the championship outcome.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

There is a lot more damage than I exepcted.

Daewoo will be at Philo if you wanted to have some "fun runs" during the weekend.

The "hard to find" parts you need might be here:
http://scch-heads.com/displayparts.php? ... &modelID=8

Steve
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Rabbit Farmer wrote: Daewoo will be at Philo if you wanted to have some "fun runs" during the weekend.
I will take you up on that.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Sorry to hear about all the damage. Makes me feel pretty lucky with how lightly I got off from my crash at Washington. Good excuse to enter the Daewoo challenge. I might have to enter that again since my run at Ascutney was officially dropped when we dropped the third run.