Project Fiero

hammer
AntiSpam: No

Post by hammer »

One final question. Both the driver and passenger seats have some surface rust on where they bolt to the floor. They appear to still be in a solid and sturdy condition. Will this be a problem at all? I know in the regs it says that harness attachment points can't have rust on them, so I'm just curious if it's something I need to deal with.Image
Sam Moultroup
http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
walterclark

Re: Project Fiero

Post by walterclark »

That is not bad, yet (of course it does make one wonder what going on under the carpet). While you are removing the nuts to add an extinguisher bracket, why not just clean those up a bit and squirt some black paint on them?
The older I get the better I was.
hammer

Post by hammer »

Good idea. I will do some assessment and see how far the rust goes.
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
smokey15

Post by smokey15 »

Regarding the aforementioned donuts, or as we used to call them, "neck braces," I beg to differ with Walter's opinion that they do not provide any protection. I wore one for years and, had three serious incidents in which they played an integral part (in my opinion) in keeping me from needing medical attention for my neck and spinal column. The first was a roll over on top of Mt. Washington where the car came down on the left front corner of the roll cage. The only injury sustained was a swollen hand from hitting the shiter. Sent the helmet back to the manufacturer (Bell), and was told that I should not use it any more. The second incident was at Ascutney, tree jumped into the road and I hit it head on. The impact was severe enough to hurl the car 180 degrees so that I was perpendicular to the road, facing the road. Only injury was to my shin. Third incident was at Burke Mt., just after the 1st check point. Did the jump just fine but went a little wide and put my right rear tire partially on the wet grass and the car came around and smacked into a tree backwards. This was at a speed estimated at 90 mph. No injuries in that event, except my pride of course.
When Dan Way was running our events, I convinced him to wear a similar type collar/neck brace. At the time, he was driving a Legends car and smacked it up bad at the finish line at Mt. Philo. He thanked me for the recommendation and felt that his neck and upper torso was not injured due to his belts, helmet and collar/neck brace.
On the other hand, in my wife's opinion, the trauma experienced in these incidents must have had an effect on my brain because I continued to drive race cars.
Smokey
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

smokey15 wrote:The second incident was at Ascutney, tree jumped into the road and I hit it head on.
I've had that happen at Ascutney, ask Don. Twice in the last seven years he comes up in the wrecker and there is my car sitting in the middle of the road but the front end is destroyed. The trees jump into the road. :shock:
smokey15 wrote:No injuries in that event, except my pride of course.
Yeah I could use some safety equipment for my pride. Something that prevents bruising.
hammer

Post by hammer »

Thanks for the info Smokey. I think I'll see what Sherm has to borrow, try some out at Philo and go from there.
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
hammer

Post by hammer »

Just got finished replacing the front sway bar end links. Needless to say they were worn out! :) ImageImage
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Performance modification.... you're now in P1. :D
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
hammer

Post by hammer »

Ha! They add 20hp at least!
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

How are the ball joints on this thing?

Extras in your toolbox wouldn't hurt. The hillclimbs (not so much Burke or Philo) will give you many opportunities to discover parts that aren't up to the task.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com