Project Fiero

Chief Geek
AntiSpam: No

Re: Project Fiero

Post by Chief Geek »

Sherman

I've gotten that advice from 3 of 4 people now. Rich is a little taller than I am but we're darn close in width across the ribs and shoulders. Our plan is for both of us to sit in many seats to see what happens. With luck we'll find one where we both fit comfortably but isn't close to loose on either of us.

If we're not as close in size as I think, does anyone have experience with seat inserts?

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
hammer

Post by hammer »

So I've decided that I'm going to try my best to race the fiero at Philo next month! Since I don't have a racing seat or harness yet but still want to be as safe as possible, I'm wondering if there are any rules regarding the donut style neck braces. I was thinking of getting this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R4 ... PDKIKX0DER). I assume since it's SFI approved that it's legal? I just wanted to check and make sure before I bought it. I'm also curious what peoples' opinion of them are in general, if anyone uses them, and if they're really worth it.
Sam Moultroup
http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

From the perspective of holding the helmet up so your neck isn't sore in Monday morning, these are great. I personally do not have an opinion on the safety functionality, but I have heard some fellow racer's opinion that it just creates a nice fulcrum to yank your head off
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

I got a couple different styles hanging in the bus. You're free to borrow one and save yourself some $.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
hammer

Post by hammer »

Thanks Sherm! That would be a good idea to try some out before deciding if I want to buy one.
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

The donuts provide no safety related function and in a severe impact may indeed cause more harm. They are probably useful to take some of the strain of a heavy helmet and high G (or constant) cornering off ones neck. The SFI rating - usually 3.6 for helmet supports - is for flammability of the materials used, not 38.1 for head and neck restraints.
The older I get the better I was.
hammer

Post by hammer »

Thanks Walter! That's good to know. And as far as the car itself goes, as long as I have a fire extinguisher mounted with a metal bracket I should be good to go? As long as the rest of the car is deemed safe I presume. I probably should have had you guys look it over at Ascutney for me...
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes, a suitable extinguisher with a metal bracket and strap(s) per our rules, that is well mounted is about all the car needs other than the safety gear it came with - and things being in good condition.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
hammer

Post by hammer »

As far as fire extinguisher location is concerned, the regs say it must be within reach of the driver. I assume this means I need to be able to reach it while still belted in? The closest place I can think to securely mount it is the passenger side footwell in front of the seat. It's within reach if I lean over there, but once I get a racing seat and harness, I don't think I'd be able to reach it without taking the shoulder straps off. Thoughts?
Sam Moultroup
--------------------
2015 VW GTI
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1985 Honda Nighthawk S
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

That is a good spot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2