Damage report Sulu

sdwarf36

Damage report Sulu

Post by sdwarf36 »

Well it turns out things weren't that bad. 10 seconds before I was ready to dive into removing my motor, A flash of common sense came over me. :idea: "How about you pull the clutch cover + take a look? Theres a 20% chance its one of the easy to get at parts." Wouldn't be out anything-the clutch assembly has to come out if i was splitting the case. So off comes the 5 clutch springs-the 18 clutch plates-the basket. Here I can see the shift mechanism + "star" on the end of the shift drum.
It was sitting askew-the bolt holding it on had backout out enough to let it come off a locating pin. :roll: It one of those parts that you wouldn't have a reason to remove. I have never touched the bolt. The odd thing is that when it fell off, it somehow parked itself between gears. :?: You couldn't make it do that again in a 100 tries. :? (Which is what lead me to believe the problems were deeper inside.) Nothing was broken-no chips or chunks in the oil-after cleaning the threads on the bolt, I was even able to reuse it. Its back together + tested.

Now-as much as I would like to believe one person can't jinx another's car, let alone a whole slew of them--Mr."I only shift 14 times a season"-and from now on referred as "that shiftless bastard" :P somehow has broken every competitor ahead or behind him.
Me: A silly bolt thats been firmly attached for 10 years.
Kevin R. : A broken shifter. Being a Subbie, its probably a 39 cent part. Or if its a big problem its a 75 cent one. :lol:
Butch: bad syncro-had to hold the shifter in 2nd gear.
Paul T.: Not one-not two-not three-but FOUR transmissions in 3 hills?? :twisted:
Don T: Said it was an oil leak-I'm betting its gear oil.

Is it just me-or does anyone else notice a pattern here? :| :D
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mopar 151w2
AntiSpam: No

Re: Damage report Sulu

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

Who's been eatin' peanuts? Back when i went down to Mad Dog on Friday night, I stopped bringing peanut butter sandwiches because the taste of gear oil seemed to follow the taste of peanuts......
Said gear oil often oozing from John Galinski's #300, Ernie Bodreau's ride at the Dog. I'll leave speculation about karmic connections to others, but John set great store by his aincent Corvette 3-speed, 'cuz it had a special ratio....
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

And my clutch went out at Ascutney, and I'm not even a threat. For shame Kevin, for shame.

Can I blame him for the transmission on my tow rig too?

You better hope the race gator's gears stay together.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

Ask John Reed. The very first time I saw the inside of a transmission I said: "That can never work it has way too many moving parts." I still stand by that. :lol:

I think direct drive super mods have it right. No clutch or transmission.
KevinGale

Post by KevinGale »

I'm also really like my old Muncie 4 speed. It's been super reliable.

Even when it had a problem last year it wasn't the fault of the transmission. When my torque arm broke at Burke it smashed the sheet metal right behind the shifter. That is where my reverse lever is located and the metal bent enough to push up the lever and partially engage reverse. Third was already engaged and I can't really blame the transmission for breaking gears when it suddenly had forward and reverse engaged at the same time at speed.

I only figured this out when I picked up the transmission after it was rebuilt. Rusty said he hadn't see a reverse gear so ground down. He wondered if I was in the habit of partially engaging reverse and letting the gears grind.
Mopar 151w2

Post by Mopar 151w2 »

There are direct drive hillclimb cars :shock: It's twoo, it's twoo....
CHCA (Colorado Hill Climb Assoc.) uses a rolling start, partly because their Super Sprint Car class is push started, direct drive.
One of the most impressive in-car movies I've ever seen was filmed over Bobby Unser's shoulder in the family's Pikes Peak sprint car (likely in 16 mm by Dick Wallen - quality is superb) Gearing is not an issue, when corners are taken sideways with the tires spinning - 'cuz either the car was sideways with the front tires waving back 'n forth, or the trees wer going by at 100+.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Mopar 151w2 wrote:There are direct drive hillclimb cars :shock: It's twoo, it's twoo....
CHCA (Colorado Hill Climb Assoc.) uses a rolling start, partly because their Super Sprint Car class is push started, direct drive.
One of the most impressive in-car movies I've ever seen was filmed over Bobby Unser's shoulder in the family's Pikes Peak sprint car (likely in 16 mm by Dick Wallen - quality is superb) Gearing is not an issue, when corners are taken sideways with the tires spinning - 'cuz either the car was sideways with the front tires waving back 'n forth, or the trees wer going by at 100+.
Direct drive, hill climb supermod? Sign me up. What class wouldcthose be in? P0?
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

Sherm

Glad to see that your problem is of the "cheap and easy" variety.

There's another possibility for the "source" of all of the bad luck at the front of the field: Kelly gets all nervous & jerky when Kevin has to "push" because he's behind or nursing a small lead, and I've never known Kevin to go off when he isn't pushing. On Sunday at Burke 2, she was cool as a cucumber when #25 was up by 10 sec. Without anyone on his heels, she knows Kevin won't be very aggressive. ;)

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Paul,
Keep in mind she also has access to our lunch. Unless you want to come up with a sudden bout of food poisoning, you best tread lightly here. :lol:
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Chief Geek

Post by Chief Geek »

sachilles wrote:Paul,
Keep in mind she also has access to our lunch. Unless you want to come up with a sudden bout of food poisoning, you best tread lightly here. :lol:
Fair point. My big mouth has gotten me in trouble before.

Paul
"Christina", New #13/#55x, '90 Miata: In progress
"Keiko", Old #13x/#55x, '96 Miata: R.I.P.
Daily Driver: '11 Mazda2 (small cars... some men have nothing to compensate for)