Happy Birthday to me (280z build)

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: Happy Birthday to me

Post by drummingpariah »

No photos ready yet, but I've wrapped up all the wiring except the ignition. It's been surprisingly difficult to identify wires in this harness, and I'm getting to the point where a complete rewire seems simpler than tracing every wire one-at-a-time. At least then I'd know it's right, every major circuit has a relay, and I would have gone through every system individually. Unfortunately, it's been a little chilly and I only have the cold, unlit driveway in my apartment building right now. I should have a second rental garage bay available by New Year's, and can at least run a propane/kerosene heater in that so I can feel my fingers while I'm working.

Suggestions on a heater for an uninsulated single-bay?
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

I have something like this that I used in the garage before I put in a permanent (vented) heater. Still have it for backup.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200577766

Note of caution. They DO deplete Oxygen in whatever space they are used so you need to have an opening to let in fresh air or you may not feel your fingers for other reasons. I would often set the unit up in a slightly larger-than-the-unit opening to the outside so it pulled in outside air to the back and blew hot air into the shop. This way it didnt use up the oxygen inside the space. I also had a plug-in CO sensor to warn me if the unit was trying to poison me.
The older I get the better I was.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

walterclark wrote:I also had a plug-in CO sensor to warn me if the unit was trying to poison me.
Really like that idea, no matter what solution I go with. Safety first, then safety second, then comes everything else.

This space is already 'well ventilated' for lack of any other term. The bay door doesn't touch the ground on the best of days, chunks of the back door sway in the breeze, the ceiling is open to the other two bays, and the roof is totally exposed on all sides. I tend to prefer older equipment, if it's functionally equivalent. Are all torpedo heaters roughly the same, in function?
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Hey , can you run a chimney in that shop/bay? I got a 115v, 240,000 btu, oil fired, hot air furnace for sale.
A five gallon bucket and some flue pipe, you won't be cold I don't care how drafty.
$200 takes it just throwing it out there.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Super1303 wrote:Hey , can you run a chimney in that shop/bay? I got a 115v, 240,000 btu, oil fired, hot air furnace for sale.
A five gallon bucket and some flue pipe, you won't be cold I don't care how drafty.
I wish, but not until I own a space. If I could install anything worthwhile in here, I'd start with a bay door that locks and electricity that doesn't come to me through glass fuses. Give me 6 months, and I should have closed on some house (and if I buy a house that doesn't have a garage, please shoot me).

Also, floor space is extremely limited. If it's something I can have off the floor without fear of a fire or fuel tipover, I'd be much happier.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

drummingpariah wrote:
Super1303 wrote:Hey , can you run a chimney in that shop/bay? I got a 115v, 240,000 btu, oil fired, hot air furnace for sale.
I wish, but not until I own a space. If I could install anything worthwhile in here, I'd start with a bay door that locks and electricity that doesn't come to me through glass fuses. Give me 6 months, and I should have closed on some house (and if I buy a house that doesn't have a garage, please shoot me).

Also, floor space is extremely limited. If it's something I can have off the floor without fear of a fire or fuel tipover, I'd be much happier.
Take it from me - look for a nice garage with a house, not the other way 'round. You will be happier.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

walterclark wrote: Take it from me - look for a nice garage with a house, not the other way 'round. You will be happier.
Amen.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

You should've seen the look on my girlfriend's face when I suggested getting the mobile home on 5 acres ... with a 2-story barn that had two wood stoves and was wired for 220. All she saw was a crappy house.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Nothing substantial to report, after spending WAY too much time diagnosing the 40-year-old EFI system without any worthwhile results, I'm just going directly to MegaSquirt. I have yet to decide between MS2 and MS3, but I'll order all my hardware in the next week or two and drop the car off at an old friend's house (who isn't colorblind) to wire it up. Assuming it can putter around on its own power at that point, I still have to make an exhaust for it, replace all the fluids, repack the bearings, and figure out a better safety system than 40-year-old seatbelts.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

You are probably already looking at the MS2 versus MS3 thing so I will only add this. If you can afford the price difference get the MS3. Easier build, better features...Even if you decide to go with batch mode initially, the MS3/3X can do so much more than the 2, you will find yourself adding on capability you didnt know you wanted at first.