1973 VW Super-Beetle(1303) Hill-Climb Build

Super1303
AntiSpam: No

1973 VW Super-Beetle(1303) Hill-Climb Build

Post by Super1303 »

(10/31/22 - Sorry for the lack of images, it's been something that has plagued my post for years.
I had just spent a night, two days ago, and had fixed a bunch now they are gone again. Frustrating.
If someone know how to post pictures without them disappearing in days please fill me in. Anyway, I'm working on it.)

Test Test. I hope this works..... Never loaded hosted images before, forgive me.
So yea, I bought this Bug when I was 18, for a dollar. Guy I new came up to me an said "You like Bugs right?" I'm like "yeah!" He say's "How much you got?" Me "A dollar"
So there it is, short version you want more info on that story Bug me at the hill... So, like, this has been the cars destiny, well not Hill-Climbing, Hill-Climbing is fine no offence, just racing, for a long time. Been building, learning what I did as a kid was no good, and re-building a couple of times in the 29 years I've had this damn thing.
So here it goes, enjoy. I'll put up some more later.
Cheers

Image]

Last edited by Super1303 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:11 am, edited 7 times in total.
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
sachilles

Re: My 1974 1303 I bought for a dollar

Post by sachilles »

photobucket gives you the image tag when you copy it from them, so no need to click on the "img" box on this forum if you are pasting it in.

Basically edit your post to remove one set of the IMG tags on either side of the picture link.

it should look like this before you post.

Code: Select all

[img] http linky .jpg [/img]
You have it twice

Code: Select all

[img][img] http linky .jpg[/impg] [/img]
always just one code in brackets in front and once code in brackets in the back with a / infront of the code.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Drgrumpus

Post by Drgrumpus »

Looks like you've got at least ten dollars into this project. Maybe ten thou?
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

sachilles wrote:photobucket gives you the image tag when you copy it from them, so no need to click on the "img" box on this forum if you are pasting it in.
Awesome! Much better, Thanks.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

So this first series of pictures, they start a little late. A lot of frame work and body work went undocumented but I'll try to fill in the blanks as I go.
My dad back in the day needed to reach something above my bug and stood on the roof, it caved in and I found out when I went to pick it up! Oh fun....
The first two pictures and this overhead shot is right after I replaced the roof. Looked like someone beat on the brat with a baseball bat.
Note: Every one that said a bug roof is the hardest because of the curves is right, BTW.
Learned a lot of the metal shrinking technique using a torch, hammer, dolly and a cold rag to get the ripples out. Totally sweet once you get the hang of it!

Pointing at the seam.

Over head shot of roof.
Last edited by Super1303 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

The Baja brace. It ties the frame horns together no flexing to birth cracks. I've done tranny straps an all that stuff, this to me is the best.
I opted to go with the more welded in permanent approach, none of that bolt in hyme joint stuff you see out there.
This Mod is really nice to have when you plan on upping the power and using it hard. You want wheel hop, don't put one in and you'll find your engine dropping out on ya this I know.
I find that it will tighten up the rear shock towers as well, not a bad thing. You can see a peak of the sway bar too, 3/4" from SwayAway and the S/S braided brake lines.

Last edited by Super1303 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Installing the oil cooler behind the front grill.

The oil cooler, Fluiddyne 5 row, 28"X6"X6", 12AN mail fittings

The Grill

Cardboard mock of cooler. Much cheaper than to buy it and find it don't fit, that would suck..

Spec's taped to mock for reference.

Cutting out the wheel well to make room for the cooler.

Fits like a charm.

Taking a measure for proper clearance for air flow.

Boxing in the cooler to direct air thru and out under the car not into the trunk and to add structure to the front end.

Mounting pads for cooler to hold it snug.

Top and bottom, uh, somethings.... Cut to conform to the inside/front of the body to force the air to go thru cooler not around. Will get clamped between mounts.

Aluminum cover w/gasket and 36, yea 36, 10-24 philips head screws to fix it in place.

Grill with the sweetest cooler now installed.

More pictures. (10/29/2022 I'm in the middle of fixing all the images. Please check back later for more.)
Last edited by Super1303 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

A couple of thoughts:
Is the oil cooler going to be mounted above or below the level of oil in the sump? If its above, are you going to have a check valve-or an Accusump in the system? I could see the oil from the cooler + lines draining back to the engine + giving you a bad case of dry start up. (A problem Porsche races have with their oil tank mounted up front. They keep them parked on the ramp of their trailers with the nose down.) When fired up, the oil is going to come out of the pump-have to go 8 ft forward-thu the cooler-then go 8ft back to where it goes into the engine.
An oil cooler is a nice thing to have-but for hills, the car is only going to run under power for 3 minutes at a time. And for a small loss in airflow mounting it somewheres in the back, you could save a fair amount of weight. How much does 16 ft of 3/4" line--and however much oil is in it-weigh?
Also - looking at the pics of the cage-I'm not the expert on the subject, but I think you should look over the rules to see where else you are going to run some pipe.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

The oil cooler is mounted slightly below the sump and dry sump tank on the scavenge line. It's going to be a 5 quart dry sump system so the problem of dry start isn't really a concern.
I still worry about oil beading past the pressure pump and filling the engine with excessive oil on start up, on a horizontal engine that's not usually good, part of the reason I'm limiting it to 5-qts. Any thoughts?
I do want to know about the cage as this is not my area and I'd really like it to be correct.
Just as a note, I don't plan on making break out any time soon an the tubing is oversize for the weight of the vehicle.
But any advise is welcome on what I need to do to the cage to make it safe as well as legal. Who should I ask?
Last edited by Super1303 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Post some pics focusing on the cage. Its difficult to tell much except that it has something in there and it looks like it is an old design.

How close to this does it look?

The older I get the better I was.