1973 VW Super-Beetle(1303) Hill-Climb Build

walterclark

Re: My 1973 1303 I bought for a dollar

Post by walterclark »

Evan took me to his shop to weld up my broken motor mount Saturday and that is where the Beetle is currently the centerpiece of the shop. It looks great in person too. It is obvious that a lot of care, creativity and skill has gone into this project.
The older I get the better I was.
Super1303
AntiSpam: No

Post by Super1303 »

Thanks Walter, ha ha, when you've had to redo things as many times I've had too one day you'll get it right or at least close!

I have a question about tow hooks.
What is the preferred type or best place to mount one? Low, High, Middle Roof?
Is the stock one sufficient?
Are synthetic straps allowed or dose it have to be metal?
How large should the hole be for the hook?
I'd like to use the bumper mounting plate on the body, so it would pass through the fenders, but I'm not sure how it would fair with a side pull.

Thanks, Evan
Hello, my name is Evan and I'm a Volksaholic.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

dsldubn wrote: I really hope I can make it to a hill you're at with it soon!!
LOL! Yea me too, we'll see!
1973 Super Beetle, #666
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

NEHA doesnt require tow eye/hooks, however pulling a car back onto the road with the wrecker can be a lot less damaging to the front and rear facia if it has a solid eye on both ends. The tow points should be solid enough for us use that point to lift the vehicle or pull it sideways in addition to a flat straight pull. If we arent confident the eye is strong enough we will just go under with J-hooks and chains to the suspension (usually lower control arms). Probably 99% of the cars lack a useful tow eye so we almost always go under the car with the hooks. Even with suitable eyes we would sometimes have to go to t he suspension anyway because we need to pull from 2 points on one end of the car in order to "steer" it up and out of wherever it ended up. In general we go for low attachment points like the suspension arms, because that is where the vehicle is usually strongest and the hooks are easy to attach, but it also lifts that end of the vehicle while winching in so it comes up and out easier - we hardly ever find a vehicle perched up high on something, its always below us. The J-Hooks we use are something under 3/4" diameter steel with a hook radius of around 4". So eyes as simple as a 1/4" thick steel plate sticking out from a solid point on the car chassis, with a 1" hole in it that the J hook can slip thru could be useful.

The wrecker doesnt have an extending boom so we cant dead lift a vehicle out of something, we are always pulling at least at some angle below vertical. So an eye in the roof isnt going to be very useful. Don actually owns another wrecker with and extending boom but its brakes are not up to the mountains and it can take half an hour to drive it down (and that is without anything on the back). The black wrecker can go up and down a mountain all day without complaining. We used the other wrecker once, at Ascutney, to pull a car out because it had landed on a rock between trees and the only way to get it out celanly was to dead lift it. Don;s shop is only 5 minutes from Ascutney so it was a reasonable decision to go get it as it saved more time than it cost to go for it. The odds of that making sense at another hill are nil.
The older I get the better I was.
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Damn thunder storm..... Had a brown out and lost everything.
(4-hours later) SO. Where the hell was I...

The chassis is done, for now, and now for the engine. I want to say fun part but the whole damn thing was fun so it's a wash.
I waiting to decide on the size of the engine because I custom made a cutter, because the tool I want is indefinitely on B/O, that's being sharpened that will, hopefully, bore the case, heads and fly-cut the heads as well.
Engine #1 1835cc 92mmX69mm, est HP 110
Engine #2 1600cc(stock) 85mmX69mm, est HP 95
Yeaaaa, here's some tasty photo's of the car W/O engine but totally ready for one!

BrownChickenBrownCow.

And the start of the mad engine, bash my head into the wall I have two weeks but really 4 days to do this and then make sure it runs with the correct F/R and all that junk, dash.

Here is the winner!!! After tearing down six engines this one didn't have the middle main pounded out deeming to a line bore. I must have not run this one as a kid....
And a healthy pile of type one heads.
The pile of parts.

The magic pump. It's not magic but it's sweet. 2:1 single inlet dry sump pump. Same set up as the Salzburg Rally Beetle.
First stage, scavenge, pulls oil from the stock pick up, at twice the rate of the pressure pump, sends it to the oil tank, in my case through a filter, oil cooler then the tank.
The second stage, pressure, pulls the oil from the tank and feeds the bearing there life juice.
The reason I went this wrought is for a lot of pros vs. a little cons.
-The oil capacity of the type-1 is like 2.5-qts. Now it's 7-qts.
-I could have added a sump to the bottom of the motor but hanging an aluminum box 2"'s off the bottom of my engine with a lowered car on mountain roads, well, didn't seem legit.
-The type-1 stock set up is prone to oil pressure surge at high cornering speeds. Not now.
-The ability to displace weight, by storing the engine oil at the front of the car, greatly needed to reduce under steer.
-Adding the sizable oil cooler to the system means I can remove the stock oil cooler completely and re-work the fan shroud to seed all the air at a higher pressure to the heads and cylinders giving me the option for higher C/R's.
Also due to the pump I'll have to run a smaller crank pulley so the fan out-pull will be reduced making it necessary to modify the shroud. But there's some controversy about this because the fan starts to stall at 4000 engine RPM with the stock crank pulley. Well see.....
-Parasitic loss, I think that's what it's called. No oil in the case to hit the crank spinning at 5000-RPM and I need all the help I can get.
-last reason is I always wanted to install a dry sump system because there sweet.

CB's Chrome-moly, 69mm(stock stroke) C/W Crank.
And just some random before pic's an stuff.
Last edited by Super1303 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

brownchickenbrowncow is right!

I'm coming to burke so I can see this thing...and to hopefully race my rabbit of course, but I'm psyched to see this.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

It is coming to Burke, right? I'm super excited to see this super!
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

drummingpariah wrote:It is coming to Burke, right? I'm super excited to see this super!

I'm tryin like hell to get it done. I want to run BURKE!!! That is the mission!!!
I did enter it so, yes. I'll say yes. I took the next four days off to build an engine so as long as the jetting and all that stuff is good, I'm there dude.

And I just got a call from the grinder that my fly-cutter bit is done so, BOOM! That's awesome. 1835cc (if it works)
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

dsldubn wrote:brownchickenbrowncow is right!

I'm coming to Burke so I can see this thing...and to hopefully race my rabbit of course, but I'm psyched to see this.
I hope you race your rabbit! Yo, you got a lead on Solex main jets for my Kad's? That's the one thing that's making me nervous.
1973 Super Beetle, #666
Super1303

Post by Super1303 »

Couple of links I found for calculators that I use quite often.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm (Dynamic C/R calculator)

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/ (I love this site for the gearing chart)
1973 Super Beetle, #666