The Breakup (Miata build)

drummingpariah
AntiSpam: No

Re: The Breakup (Miata build)

Post by drummingpariah »

Realistically, a noticeable change is pretty unlikely. I haven't taken it back to the dyno, and don't have any plans to immediately. I can say that my injectors are at the same duty cycle % levels they were before the new exhaust, and since they're not working any harder, I can assume I'm not making noticeably more power. I wasn't excessively rich before the exhaust (around 12.2:1 average at hillclimbs for max power), so I don't imagine there was too much left on the table in terms of combustion efficiency ... and if I'm not more efficient, and I'm not burning more fuel, I'm not making more power.

It did drop around 25lbs from the bottom of the car though, and makes me smile when I start it up. I care a lot more about that than I do about having more power.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

drummingpariah wrote:I have a spare can for my 91 gsxr 750 but all the car cans are spoken for.
If you don't mind parting with it, bring it to burke and I'll take a look to see if it will work
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Challenger392 wrote:
drummingpariah wrote:I have a spare can for my 91 gsxr 750 but all the car cans are spoken for.
If you don't mind parting with it, bring it to burke and I'll take a look to see if it will work
As long as I can find somewhere to park and hang the hammock, I'll find a way to fit it (I think I have two spares) in the Miata.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Prepping for Burke in every way I can. My cage components won't be in 'till next week, so I'm still going to be in an X-car for this, but I'd be VERY surprised if I break out, so it's kind of a moot point.
dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

Every bit helps, I'm sure there's a little gain from the header and exhaust, or at least a shift in your power band slightly. Nice work

Have fun at Burke. Real bummed to be missing it...was my first climb ever, and still have a hard time breaking out there. Real fun hill
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

Really, I think my lack of cage is what's holding me back right now, not lack of power or grip. I didn't take any risks at Ascutney, and just played it safe all around. I still had a blast, but with a cage I would have been more comfortable with replacing the 'well, I should have gone faster through that section" with "oh boy, that was bracing". It looks very promising that I'll have it caged for Okemo 1. 'Till then, I'm just going to learn what I can at a leisurely pace.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I definitely should have worked on all of this earlier, but last night I was replacing the wheel studs and found the rear-right axle to be seized to the spindle. Our 20-ton press started making what i can only refer to as 'interesting noises' while trying to separate the two, but the spindle broke and axle would require more work than it's worth to salvage, at this point.

I don't think I'll be able to leave by noon, but I'll still make it out to Burke tonight.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I'm finally getting around to adding a jungle gym. Unfortunately, the one section of tubing that wasn't quite what I had asked for is the door section. I have the sill bars I requested, but not the X-bars, and I'm not sure if I'll have them in time for Okemo.

The rules state that "11. Cars must have at least 2 sections of side protection. Roll cages must have at least one bar in the door area. Stock door beam found in most cars is acceptable as a section, as is a substantial outboard frame rail or rocker panel. " ... and I plan to add X-bars on both sides, so I'm not really interested in cobbling something temporary together. Will sill bars similar to the bottom-of-the-door bars here count as the'one bar in the door area' required?

I'd like to keep it as close to the body as possible, so it can be welded directly to the rocker, or at least have minimal gussets required to tie it in. I'll certainly have my X-bars by Okemo 2, but if they're not in by Okemo 1, will I still be an X-car?

Most of my rough plan is laid out on the garage floor right now.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Yes, the sill bar in the cage will count as 1 element. Does the driver's door still have the original reinforcement inside the outer skin (side impact protection)? If so you should meet the cage rule.
The older I get the better I was.
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

walterclark wrote:Yes, the sill bar in the cage will count as 1 element. Does the driver's door still have the original reinforcement inside the outer skin (side impact protection)? If so you should meet the cage rule.
Doors are stock, rockers are stock, everything's original on the body. This should work out just fine, then! I'll hold off on the extra doorbars, and the tubing to tie in the front suspension 'till Okemo 2 prep.