Rabbit Farmer's various VW Projects

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Rabbit Farmer's various VW Projects

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Planning, planning, planning....

Trying to figure out if I want the 02M (6-speed) or the 02J (5-speed) with cable shift for the Scirocco.

I came across this really, really, really cool site that I can put in all the gear ratios, tire size, etc. and watch it go through the gears using the auto-shift button.

http://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

I haven't tried the numbers for the 02J or 02M on the site yet. That will take some time as I need to determine what I have first.

I figure that if my Golf can get into 6th gear at Okemo (just holding speed, not accelerating), the Scirocco being lighter and much smaller diameter wheels will be hitting 6th as a usable gear.

Of course, what is it like at all the other speeds and gears..... what about Burke (tight hill) vs. Ascutney (fast)?

The 02M is much stronger, but since the car is so light, I do not think I need to worry about breaking the 02J. So, strength is not a reason to go with the 6-speed.

Then, there is the weight difference. I think it is 100# (02J) vs. 112# (02M); assuming the internet is correct. Will have to weigh both of them when I get a chance. Of course, the 02J doesn't have an LSD, but it will give me the general idea.

Of course... bringing in the cost factor. I have the 02M freshly rebuilt and ready to use. I have the cables for both. Might go with aftermarket upright shifter.... we will see.

Both transmission will either require some fabrication to be able to use the normal MK4 (like my Golf) engine mounts OR order pre-made 02M or 02J to MK1 (Scirocco) mounts. Since this will be always raced, I want something that will hold up. I like the fabrication angle as MK4 parts are easy to come by.

Planning, planning, planning.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

Kind of cute calculator, but I had a problem with it at first. I entered all my values, but mis-typed the 5th gear ratio (omitted the decimal point). The page caught that as an out of range value. I corrected it and finished up, then hit auto shift to plot it. The speeds at max RPM it came up with were for a much taller tire and it didnt matter what valued I entered as the speeds didnt change. It corrected the speeds after I re-entered the correct tire diameter (I changed it several times to verify that this was the issue with the error - speeds didnt change) then before hitting auto shift again, I refreshed the page...
The older I get the better I was.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Nice Calculator. It really makes it easy to quickly visualize how gearing/tire sizing/RPM changes affect speed in gear, shift RPM Etc. :D
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not too much of an update.

First hillclimb of the year (Ascutney #1 / 2016) has come and gone; weather was great, good to see old and new faces, etc.

I believe this is a personal best (2:56.10... so close to 2:55). Happy with 3rd overall.

Next weekend... SLMP track event with the WRX.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Favorite photo from the weekend....

Credit: Sam Moultroup

dsldubn

Post by dsldubn »

nice work Steve. Impressive 3rd overall with front wheel drive!! Awesome.
Jason Orzell
VW Rabbit turbo diesel, the green soot shooter
sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

How serious was that run? Well he came thru ck 6 at an angle + intensity that had Magnet Al jumping out of his seat ready to respond! :o
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I did one improvement for the 2016 season.... installed set screw to control the idle.

Oh... and get a new set of Toyo R888 (235/40-17)... after the Ascutney hillclimb. (could have used them for Ascutney)

The car did not always idle when cold and I wanted the engine to run faster after a run (faster than 700 +/- RPMs) to pump coolant through the engine. Historically, I used a split washer to control the idle by putting it between the static throttle body stop and the rotating part of the throttle. I used the split washer because it offered different throttle positions based on its sloped shape.

Anyway... enough of dealing with the throttle, I installed a set screw to address the issue.

One thing I would have done differently if I did it again, I would have done it from the backside so that I could adjust the idle while the engine was running. As installed now, I have to turn off the engine and swing the throttle open to get to the set screw. Live an learn.

Photos of this simple adjustment.

drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

I love how simple that fix is. It sort of makes me wonder why VW didn't just tap a hole there from the factory.
walterclark

Post by walterclark »

drummingpariah wrote:I love how simple that fix is. It sort of makes me wonder why VW didn't just tap a hole there from the factory.
Probably no need with an ECU controlled air bypass idle control.
The older I get the better I was.