Rabbit Farmer's various VW Projects

Rabbit Farmer
AntiSpam: No

Re: Rabbit Farmer's various VW Projects

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Panzer plate on the way. Image

Day 1 of the 6-speed swap. Sporting sexy steel rims with studded snows.
I don't plan on taking pictures during this part as it is a lot of 'been there, done that'.... I will take pictures to compare old and new parts for reference.

Plan is to take this 5-speed with LSD, clutch, flywheel, and hydro clutch (will need help with that last one) and install it all in the Cabriolet.

Day 1

Day 2

5-speed transmission, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, and axles have been removed. Next stop for everything (minus the axles) is the Cabriolet. (the plan anyway).

5-speed (Spec2) vs. 6-speed (Spec2+)

Big difference in the hardware between the Spec2 and Spec2+

5-speed and 6-speed side by side. The 5-speed is a bit dirty thanks to a CV joint blowing apart at Philo.

Dieselgeek Panzer Skid Plate will be protecting my investment.

Stainless steel brake lines for front and year.
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Is there a big difference in weight between the two?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza (Donut) #66
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I do not know the weight difference... main goal of the beefier 02M (6-speed) is to only have to lift it into the car once. :mrgreen:
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Day 3

Busy night....

I removed the 5-speed shift box/cables; this required me to disconnect the exhaust and unbolt it from the floor so that I could hang it low enough to remove two aluminum heat shields.

Note the differences between the 5 and 6 speed cables and connections; I'm unsure if the actual box is different.

Side by side comparison of the 5-speed vs. 6-speed axles. The 5-speed axles are from the DriveShaft Shop (475HP version) so they look very different from stock. The stock 5-speed axles are hollow like the 6-speed while the 475HP axles are solid. The big difference between the 5 and 6 speed axles are the method it attaches to the hub (nut vs. bolt) and the length.

The hydraulic clutch lines are very different.... I really like the design of the 6-speed as it doesn't have the large push rod setup on the transmission side.

And the frustration of the night was installing the 6-speed hydraulic line to the pedal assembly. I removed the bracket under the brake fluid distributor so that I could get more room between that unit and the firewall to unhook the 5-speed line and install the 6-speed. What a @#$%@$# pain!!! I was finally able to get the 6-speed line connected (lost a lot of fluid so bleeding is in my future), but I am not sure where the line should run. Does anyone have a picture of the clutch line navigating around the brakes lines properly?

View from the bottom....

walterclark

Post by walterclark »

So how do those TheDriveShaftShop axles hold up? I have been using Raxles for the past few years. They make new CV's and reuse the A2 chassis OEM (German only) shafts but cant seem to find any more that arent worn or bent. They tried the later shafts made in various places but found the quality inferior, in particular the steel wasnt properly hard so the splines wear and get sloppy if too soft or the axles snap if too hard. I am running my last 2 good German axle shafts and will have to find another axle supplier when the splines on these wear unacceptably.
The older I get the better I was.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I had one break.... either it was because the hub broke and it took the axle stub with it, or the other way around. I have nver had a broken CV with these. One comment I have heard is the potential for a vibration caused by a solid axles as opposed to the hollow OEM style. I have never experienced this.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Day 4

Almost all together.... it would have been 100% together if I had known the shield that goes between the engine and transmission was different between the 5 and 6 speed.

I figured out the best way to run the clutch line (I assume this the factory route... made the most sense while on my back under the car), did the power steering line (real easy!), installed the shift box, put the exhaust shields and exhaust back in place, and finally installed the 6-speed hubs and axles.

The clutch hydraulic line....

Same image with notes to give you a frame of reference. This is looking up from the ground to the underside. Frame rail is the driver's side of the car.

Shiftbox installed... hmmmm, looks just like the 5-speed at this end.

Pictures of the 5-speed (02J) vs. the 6-speed (02M)

Together... easy project since I took the carrier off of the car as a single unit instead of taking it apart in pieces. Every came apart so nicely as the car hasn't seen the roads in the winter since 2003 +/-.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Day 5

Still taking my time; just a little bit each day.

I'm still doing research on what tires/rims I should use this year..... I currently have older Toyo RA1 in 235-40-17. Looking for a wider and sticker tire, yet no taller than the current tires (short is even better). Looking at Hoosier R6 245-50-15 or A6 245-45-16.

5-speed engine/transmission cover vs. 6-speed. The black area on the right side is a piece of rubber. It seems to have replaced the metal cover that is normally there on the 5-speeds.

5-speed cover on the 6-speed transmission

6-speed cover on the 6-speed transmission

Filling her up with 2.3 liters of Motul 300. I need to get the special VW tool to tighten the filler cap.

Cover on engine....

A very different (and not flat) flywheel....

Shot of the clutch... notice that the thicker side of the clutch is actually the flywheel side; my experience is that is is normally on the pressure plate side.

The pressure plate (note the fingers) before I tightened everything.

...and afterwards.

Technical question.... what is the story with this hole in the bottom of the transmission? It is supposed to be plugged? Is it an inspection hole?
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Day 6

Only 3.5 hours today... mainly because I was having a hard time getting the transmission lined up. Finally got it. I also noticed some other differences between the 5 and 6-speed transmissions (see below)

I still have a few items 'do to list' before it gets together 100%:
1. Get long bolt on front of transmission
2. Get 12pt/17mm drain plug socket to tighten filler plug (channel lock tight right now)
3. Get bolt and coolant hose (see questions below)

I'll make sure to get the driver's axle in, exhaust together, etc. on Sunday. Getting there.... so close.

It seems that the top transmission bolt should have a stud at the end for the cable shifter... is this a correct assumption? I hope to get a Bentley that includes the 6-speed on Sunday to answer some of these questions.

Is the coolant hose different on the 6-speed or so I just need to bend this out of the way? I am unable to slide the shift cable vertical-oriented mount to where I believe it belongs.

FYI for those doing a swap... this seems to be the correct routing for the power steering line. What is the purpose of the stud on one of the transmission mount bolts (near PS line)?

Another difference... the bolt (where the screwdriver is located) is much longer than that of the 5-speed.
Rabbit Farmer

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Day 7

99.9% completed. I need the bracket that goes from the starter to the PS hardline and the long bolt in the front to call it 100%.

I drove it around last night (25 miles) to start the clutch break-in process and make sure everything works. I did notice that the starter was struggling a bit with the larger flywheel (I have the really small Odyssey batter located in the rear of the car). During the drive, I kept shifting between the highest gear and the next two below... did that for 3 miles before I realized that I have forgotten about 6th gear (I was doing 5th, 4th, 3rd). Duh. Image

I didn't do anything over 3/4 throttle since I was breaking it in.... also, once it hit full boost, both tires lit up.... I guess 205 wide studded snow tires weren't meant to be good on a 300 wHP FWD car on dry pavement.

Working on ordering rims (Diamond Racing 15x9) and tires (Hoosier R6 or A6 245-50-15) this week. I think I will pick up a set of 235-40-17 Toyo 888 as the second set of tires (more for track use). I also need to get the A/F gauge sorted out; more than likely this means sending it back to Autometer for diagnosis.

Researching hydro clutch setup on the Cabriolet. I see that it is a lot more involved that I expected. Darn it. I figure I'll have the transmission out anyway so installing what I need in the engine bay should be easier. www.eurospeed.ca seems to have the parts I need for this swap. More to come on that later.

Anyway, for those of you that have Internet ADD (too much text, man, show me some pictures), here are the latest pictures.

The fluids and parts needed this weekend....

Transmission drain tool, timing hole cover, bolt with stud for transmission to engine with shift linage bolt down, and the clips for the shift linkage.

The tool....

Some more differences.... first up, the starter (as expected).

And the bolts (02M are longer)