Taking the plunge, 13 BRZ

Mrk1
AntiSpam: No

Taking the plunge, 13 BRZ

Post by Mrk1 »

Thought I would introduce my car as I am new here. I come from a HPDE back ground and so far have build my BRZ in that mind set, however hill climbs have been a real interest after I watched climb to the clouds a few years back.

I have had this car for a few years now and have finally got to point that I am very happy with it, I am a metal fabricator and mechanic by trade so I have made most all the parts myself for this build.

Most recently I took a MK3 Supra LSD, tightened it up and installed in my differential along with a 3.91 final drive from a Lexus, couldn't be happier with how it has turned out.

The turbo kit is my own creation, right now I am running a GT2860RS at 11psi, should be right around 300whp.

The car does have a welded in roll bar but should things work out this winter that will be coming out in favor of a full cage, thus the thread name, take the plunge!

Mod List as I can think of it:

GT2860RS with .86 AR Tial V-Band housings
Turbosmart 40mm Wastegate, recirc
Turbosmart Race Port Blow Off
Mishimoto Evo X Intercooler
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
Turbosmart eBoost2 boost controller
Innovate AFR Gauge
3" Stainless Downpipe
2.5" Stainless Exhaust
3.91 Final Drive with Upgraded MK3 Supra LSD
HKS SP Coilovers
StopTech Big Brake kit
Perrin 22mm Front Sway Bar
STI Engine and Trans Mounts
STI Rear Trailing Arms
Assorted Urethane Bushings
17x9 Team Dynamics
255/40/17 RE11-A
Last edited by Mrk1 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdwarf36

Re: Taking the plunge, 13 BRZ

Post by sdwarf36 »

Welcome! That looks like a great start. Read the rules concerning cages-and feel free to ask questions. We're a helpful bunch! :)
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
Mrk1

Post by Mrk1 »

sdwarf36 wrote:Welcome! That looks like a great start. Read the rules concerning cages-and feel free to ask questions. We're a helpful bunch! :)

Thanks, I have already been reading over the rules and planning.
Mrk1

Post by Mrk1 »

This is the cage I will base mine off, I built this last year for a buddy. I will change a few things to fit my needs.

sdwarf36

Post by sdwarf36 »

If you ever need Toyota or other LSD parts, here is a great a place I've dealt with. http://weirperformance.com/
I have a strange mash up of various Toyota parts in my LSD-he was able to come up with a rebuild kit + other parts I needed.
Translating road racing to hillclimbing:
Proper tire selection== nothing hooks up on moss or wet leaves.
Staying on the racing line==anything paved is considered good.
skimobile

Post by skimobile »

It looks like a very clean build.
This was my 1st season of hillclimbing and the 1st thing I learned was "soften" your suspension..... Think tarmac rally stage vs track. There were others running BRZs this year. Don't hesitate to ask for input from others. This group has been VERY helpfull answering all my Subaru setup questions and would never purposely steer you wrong.
Mrk1

Post by Mrk1 »

sdwarf36 wrote:If you ever need Toyota or other LSD parts, here is a great a place I've dealt with. http://weirperformance.com/
I have a strange mash up of various Toyota parts in my LSD-he was able to come up with a rebuild kit + other parts I needed.

I actually do get all my stuff from Weir, great guys.
Mrk1

Post by Mrk1 »

skimobile wrote:It looks like a very clean build.
This was my 1st season of hillclimbing and the 1st thing I learned was "soften" your suspension..... Think tarmac rally stage vs track. There were others running BRZs this year. Don't hesitate to ask for input from others. This group has been VERY helpfull answering all my Subaru setup questions and would never purposely steer you wrong.
I've been watching lots of video and noticed the bumpy surface. Right now I have 8k front and rear.
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Mrk1 wrote:
skimobile wrote:It looks like a very clean build.
I've been watching lots of video and noticed the bumpy surface. Right now I have 8k front and rear.
A good rule of thumb is to start with stock springs, anything stiffer will most likely result in the need for a visit to the chiropractor :lol: But the bumps DO smooth out the faster you go..... Ascutney is by far the bumpiest, Burke is probably the smoothest. I love the car, can't wait to see it in person.
Luke Moultroup
Technical Support
Pratt & Whitney Engine Services

http://moultroupracing.blogspot.com/

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger 318
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7
2004 Mazda 6
Howe Modified
1989 Suzuki GSXR1100K
drummingpariah

Post by drummingpariah »

That's what, ~450lb/in? I'm running 225lb in the front and 175lb (4kg/mm roughly) in the rear of my Miata, and that feels pretty appropriate for Ascutney. I wouldn't be opposed to going a little stiffer at Philo and Burke, but there are some pretty nasty bumps available on every hill. I'm guessing the BRZ is a little heavier and more powerful than my car, but that still sounds a bit stiff to me.